Rich Geldreich On The State Of Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jbysmith View Post
    Really? Ok, so what needs to be installed for me to run whatever apk on a Linux desktop? Sounds awfully useful, would figure something like that would get a bit more attention.

Note its not quite all there, but pretty substantially.

Comment

• Originally posted by yakman2020 View Post
      Note its not quite all there, but pretty substantially.
      Ah, I've seen that (and it is slick, some interesting potential once they work the kinks out), but I was replying to the comment "installing additional package does not count as 'help'", referring to the "Android and GNU/Linux is the same OS" argument, doesn't exactly help that any OS can do that.

Comment

BTW, I've actually done fairly extensive benchmarking on Java, and even at the time, using the stock javasoft JVM, it seldom payed a perf burden of more than 40% on any task. That is something that most CPUs wouldn't even notice in normal interaction. Memory wise the java was actually more efficient, though when it hit garbage collect on very tight memory you certainly could see it. But JVMs are much better now than they were then, and folks increasingly use distributed garbage collect rathert han the old "crash and burn" version.
        cpu wise it does not matter that much maybe, but 40% can be really much on this slow arm devises especialy for gaming, but I cant belive the ram thing, I dont konw whats the problem maybe its some io thing or they rewrite the same amount of ram more often or something, or their stack itself is just so crappy (android), but why can apple make phones with apps with slower hardware that is stutterfree and fast and android phones with double the hardware does not 100% reach the same level?

And I heard it before this kind of argument several times, 1. directx is more or less at the same level of performence now we learn with mantle how extremly bad directx or direct3d really is, for developer its maybe a ok deal if he only needs 50% the time if that is really true to develop a game and the the users need double so high specs, but the users have to invest much money to keep up with this waste, then we need extra plants just to power the bigger computers needed.

Then what was next android 4.1? Project butter? When this was the great step why is 5.0 much faster now? we will have that again in 5.3 or 6.0 HUGE improvements. thats only possible when the system before did not work well.

Maybe we both are right, if you really care about good garbage collection and manage that well you can get really great apps, but most people just dont care about that, and default garbage collection sucks and costs cpu time. maybe it does not matter if you have a free cpu core, but at least it draws more power maybe gets faster hot and then maybe trottle all cores.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          cpu wise it does not matter that much maybe, but 40% can be really much on this slow arm devises especialy for gaming, but I cant belive the ram thing, I dont konw whats the problem maybe its some io thing or they rewrite the same amount of ram more often or something, or their stack itself is just so crappy (android), but why can apple make phones with apps with slower hardware that is stutterfree and fast and android phones with double the hardware does not 100% reach the same level?

And I heard it before this kind of argument several times, 1. directx is more or less at the same level of performence now we learn with mantle how extremly bad directx or direct3d really is, for developer its maybe a ok deal if he only needs 50% the time if that is really true to develop a game and the the users need double so high specs, but the users have to invest much money to keep up with this waste, then we need extra plants just to power the bigger computers needed.

Then what was next android 4.1? Project butter? When this was the great step why is 5.0 much faster now? we will have that again in 5.3 or 6.0 HUGE improvements. thats only possible when the system before did not work well.

Maybe we both are right, if you really care about good garbage collection and manage that well you can get really great apps, but most people just dont care about that, and default garbage collection sucks and costs cpu time. maybe it does not matter if you have a free cpu core, but at least it draws more power maybe gets faster hot and then maybe trottle all cores.
          Isn't Android 5.0 using ART as default, instead of dalvik? That makes it pretty much faster than the old android versions...

Comment

• what?

what a bunch of ninnies...

Linux will never depend on 1 company releasing a machine. Would it be freaking awesome if an open source pre-made box took over the world and because of it everyone started using opensource and all software was open source. Sure that would be nice. What manufacturer has made a successful linux machine? How has linux faired with or without it? I think it has helped though. I think the Steam box depends more on the downloadable installable distro then then it does on the actual Steam box itself. Do people buy pre-made computers? I don't know ask dell or hp or asus or ... Better yet ask them why. Its easier, its simpler, its support? Again why I ask. Do you want to support the masses start giving out your home phone so they can call you? What could the average barely able to use windows person break on a linux box? You know they will probably need root right or even sudo?

So if Steam OS is a big flop and it never goes anywhere it wont matter. I hope it takes off. I hope it takes over console gaming. Considering consoles "are" coming, maybe already are, to pc, its already ahead of the game. If valve just wanted to sell boxes then why did they let other manufacturers make the boxes? Why are there so many manufacturers of their boxes? I think they just want to sell games and quit getting fucked with by shitdows.

If valve goes close sourced and boneheads everything up then we bail take what is open source and fork'em. You think Dumbian will die if Steam OS fails? Steam OS is using Dumbian. Oh the silver lining!!!

You can put retroarch on Steam OS. that gives, NES, SNES, Playstation, Sega 1,2,3..., Gameboy, Super Gameboy, and about 70 others. Even old DOS and commodore 64 games. What console out does that? If microshaft wants to fuck with Valve then valve should put the emulators in Steam OS and then copy right backwards compatibility. Now you can play everything. EVERYTHING!!! Its almost a commercial. Why couldn't sega or sony or nintendo make an emulator then give it to people and then people buy the games. Then your PC or console games would work until linux doesn't. I suppose shitdows could sell their emulator, and then we could see which console sells more games. Oh you got an steam box with the nintendo emulator just download the sony emulator and bang buy our games. So why would they give emulators for free, I don't know to sell games? Why would they make the emulators open source? Look at all the opensource indie games on Steam. Why the hell wouldn't they. Or go find all the homebrew emulator games for the old ass consoles. Also open source doesn't mean free, it just means open source.

If Rich thinks that linux is so bad for gaming maybe he should fix it. Money or mouth, I guess hes got more mouth then money? Maybe that is why he left? Buy a Steam Box Rich is hungry!

I wonder if the Valve joystick is any good. I would buy it before I ever bought a joystick with profanity printed on it. I bought a PS3 joystick to try out retroarch it is pretty neat. DiddyKong Racing is freaking impossible, the stupid triceratops guy. My parrot sings to the intro screen. I think he likes the song, colors and movements. At the intro screen when the little guys are standing there so you can select who you want to drive as, he kinda dances with them. Its was worth the game just to watch him. I and my parrot would never have seen or even heard of the game if it wasn't for retroarch. I'm not buying a console they don't have keyboards.

These samethings hold true for the Ubuntu phone too. Its the samething. Android is linux but its not. I am not going to buy another android phone I think they borked the security end of it by giving to much power to the programmer and taking everything away from the user. That doesn't mean they can't fix it but I'm going to try a Ubuntu phone first. Hopefully its a Linux phone that happens to run the Ubuntu distro and not a Ubuntu phone though. I don't see why they would care which distro I actually run. I bought the phone and now I don't even want updates from them. That is a Win Win on their part as far as I see it. We will see. I hate phones, people call me and want to talk, I could go without one just fine. A portable desktop I could take on my motorcycle would rule though. I like the gps/maps, radio/mp3, note taking, email, ... Then get home and its my desktop, I would like that. Or plug it into my TV and its a console, does it play Diddy Kong Racing because my parrot loves that game.

Comment

• Originally posted by vein View Post
              Isn't Android 5.0 using ART as default, instead of dalvik? That makes it pretty much faster than the old android versions...
              I don't agree, BTW, that just because something is faster now it was broken before. Improvement and a lrearning curve are a natural part of any products life cycle.

Comment

I don't agree, BTW, that just because something is faster now it was broken before. Improvement and a lrearning curve are a natural part of any products life cycle.
                You meant "faster now doesn't mean it was" in the first sentence, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                  You meant "faster now doesn't mean it was" in the first sentence, right?
                  Yup. Sorry.

Comment

• You should had started with the link to his blog.

Because if your article wouldn't cover it all then I'd want to read it all. Interesting enough.

So catching my attention and pushing me on-wards would had been the best solution

Comment

You have the comparsion, I am just to lazy to find any to the other oses. So if your device is way slower than as example ios, you know you do something wrong. But you do not care, because apple sells their brand name for 200-300 euro. so if asus and samsung and lg does sell that fuer 50 euro just use a dualcore processor instead of a single core and double the ram.

Of course its still slower, but with that hardware not so much anymore. And maybe even on some special benchmarks its even fast happy. They knew what they are doing, they are not murrons, but it does not matter. They want to sell ads and apps, so does a slow OS hurt that? No, not at all. Then it takes longer to click away the ad

yes its still nice marketing that u can say we are no 1000 times faster or something like that, MUCH faster, and again it was a great idea to make it slow as hell in the first place else you could not use this huge improvemnts in marketing, if it would be like binary 100% speed blobs, there would more or less no systemupgrade that could make apps faster at all.

Its the same with sdcard slots, are they expense no, not at all, do and did they sell 500 euro phones without sdcard, yes. Why, especialy all nexus devices? if we give that the users, they could not use our servers to upload all their data and we cant sell this data.

That motherfuckers are sick people, bastards that sell their customers to nsa. they are basicly Stasi.

Comment

Working...
                      X