Fedora 9 and ATI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 9 and ATI

has anybody installed ATI driver on fedora 9?
    I have tried, neither catalyst 8.5, not 8.6 runs succesfully, after installation and reboot, the driver does not load and gdm won't start. Radeon Mobility X1400. The problem is fglrx.so cant find a symbol anywhere

What's wrong? anybody has clue?

Originally posted by klaus View Post
    has anybody installed ATI driver on fedora 9?
    I have tried, neither catalyst 8.5, not 8.6 runs succesfully, after installation and reboot, the driver does not load and gdm won't start. Radeon Mobility X1400. The problem is fglrx.so cant find a symbol anywhere

What's wrong? anybody has clue?

We have the same experience... My X crashed just now because the failure of 8.6... I only wait for Livna (not develpoment or testing) to save me what else can we do ?

Comment

Based on googling, I've found that X-Server in Fedora 9 is so new that even ATI catalyst does not support it. But Why? Fedora 9 came just soon after catalyst 8.5, and now, with release of 8.6, IT IS NOT STILL SUPPORTED. What is ATI doing? I'm really in need of hardware acceleration because of my work, and now, nothing...

Comment

It's not just that the xserver is so new, it's that the xserver is a version that hasn't been officially released. While it would be nice if AMD could support it, I don't think it's fair to expect them to support an unreleased version of the Xserver.

Adam

Comment

Then this means that ATI probably won't put the support in their catalyst, till the official release of the X-Server? Is it true?

Comment

I'm not from AMD, so I can't say what they will and won't do. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they waited till xserver 1.5.0 is released.

Adam

Comment

I'd even guess they'll need more time that just until the release of xserver 1.5, because they'll need to use a complete different driver architecture which will take a few months (especially if you add the time the support needs to stabilize)

Comment

In general we are aiming the open source drivers at upstream distros with as-yet-unreleased subsystems, and the closed source drivers more at the downstream distros, but I do think you will see earlier support of new kernels and X servers in the future.
                Test signature

Comment

Anybody knows what is the status of open source drivers for ATI products?
                  In Fedora 9, default driver is the radeon, which only supports (main) display detection, not any acceleration of anykind. RadeonHD is not on any mirrors that I have browsed, and i think it does not support features of the new Fedora (Since if it was, there was somewhere link to its fedora 9 package)
                  Anybody got any news?

Comment

Sorry to hear that.But I think if you're in real need of acceleration ,you may have to be back to Fedora 8,for ATI's good performance on it... FC9 turned me down seriously... I cannot wait any longer~

Comment

Working...
                    X