AMD Catalyst 8.6 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sid350 View Post
    There is no improvements on X200M, only new bugs. Diagonal tearing is everythere.

THANK YOU ATI!
    Why don't you use open source driver? It works quite well with X200M.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      Why don't you use open source driver? It works quite well with X200M.
      That depends on your definition of "quite well" :-) For functional AIGLX support you need a very new version of the driver which requires compiling drm and mesa from source, and quite possibly the xserver if you don't have a new enough version already installed.

Adam
      Last edited by adamk; 19 June 2008, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
        That depends on your definition of "quite well" :-) For functional AIGLX support you need a very new version of the driver which requires compiling drm and mesa from source, and quite possibly the xserver if you don't have a new enough version already installed.

Adam
        which kindof equals up to around the same time as installing fglrx when it goes easy, if one has fglrx trouble, its alot easier to compile xserver/mesa/drm....

Comment

Yesterday.
          Fresh Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit.
          Updated.
          Installed build-essential & dkms.
          Launched ATI-Installer, clicked "next" several times.
          Let aticonfig configure my xorg.conf.
          Reboot.
          Works.

So I can't agree with Redeeman here, but still it was funny to read

Comment

i could probably do the mesa/drm and xserver thing with less manual time spent, than you could do the build-essential, dkms, atiinstaller, aticonfig thing..

naturally compiling itself takes abit of time.. but thats my cpu's task

Comment

Installing build-essential and dkms, installing the driver with the ATI Installer, doing that single aticonfig command doesn't take a minute. Fast enough, I think

Where's the PTS benchmark for installing fglrx vs. compiling open source packages?

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin View Post
                Hey, icon corruption is gone now.
                But video playback seems to have broken.

In any case, I've updated my installer script for the 'buntus, which can be found here.

EDIT: Yep, looks like it made 3D totally unusable. Tried Sauerbraten, and it does this weird split-screen checkerboard thingy. I can see everything, but it's completely unplayable.

Maybe a problem somewhere with endian-ness? Just a shot in the dark... Screenshots come out normal, so a picture here. (This happens to everything on-screen until I close Sauerbraten.)
                Oh yeah, and the Phoronix article says it doesn't support Xorg 7.4/X server 1.5, which is what I'm running... The last driver worked fine.
                No need to wonder about 3D not working as Catalyst REALLY doesn't support Xorg 7.4/XServer 1.5. They introduced a new driver infrastructure which is yet not at all supported in Catalyst.

From what I see in this thread we can (again) say that many people experience success and many experience disappointments.
                Lucky that I'm one of the success ones

Comment

Mhh and instead of "ATi rocks! ATi Sux!" and so on... what about this technical question i made?

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                  Hey, but clock gating was enabled for all chips!? even M76? by default? or there are options to set it?

and is it somehow related to POWERplay? because powerplay was not enabled for my M76, and i cannot find anywhere that clock gating was enabled....
                  Maybe Bridgman knows... I say maybe because lately he said:
                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Hold on Vighy, there's a big difference between "ATI didn't know" and "bridgman didn't know". The second one happens all the time

Comment

Problems with TV

I have a problem with TV using new drivers. Plus is that KDETV is finally working with v4l2/xvideo (and I can run TVTime), but it makes strange things with the image - it is BW covered by moving translucent colour diagonal stripes and it looks like colours are taken from image (scene with forest has green stripes etc). Any idea? I have HD3200, OS 10.3, plain X11 without compizes and so..

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      Yesterday.
                      Fresh Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit.
                      Updated.
                      Installed build-essential & dkms.
                      Launched ATI-Installer, clicked "next" several times.
                      Let aticonfig configure my xorg.conf.
                      Reboot.
                      Works.

So I can't agree with Redeeman here, but still it was funny to read
                      Your only half right, the driver still has 3 major bugs i notice... i don't use compiz normally, however right nwo i have it enabled due to major bugs with rendering the gnome system monitor with the compiz disabled...

first bug: the installer is half broken on ubuntu...

this command works:
                      Code:
                      sudo sh ati-driver-installer-8-6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/hardy
                      this command does not work:
                      Code:
                      sudo sh ati-driver-installer-8-6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/8.04
                      second bug: see my previously mentioned statement about having compiz disabeld and the rendering of gnome system monitor being unusable... moving the window causes major errors across the screen ( last known to work somewhat properly is 8.4 driver release)

third bug: Xvideo output problems due to compiz...

mplayer ( ubuntu repository) and VLC's xvideo output flickers badly when in windowed mode.

smplayer does not render any video when the video output is set to XV. ( using latest svn release of mplayer )

mplayer does not render video in full screen, but renders windowed properly. (revision 27099 of mplayer)

smplayer does not render video at all when using the revision 27099 of mplayer.

oh and on a quick note, when you have doom 3 running in windowed mode with compiz it tends to flicker a little bit, but not as bad as the video's being played in mplayer and vlc using the xvideo output.

Comment

Working...
                      X