AMD Catalyst 8.6 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P45 support?

I changed my mobo from DFI DK P35 to a P45 chipset one (ASUS P5Q-E).
    On the P35 I could use the ATI driver but on P45 it crashes my system everytime I startx. Using sax2 to configure the open source standard driver of my linux distribution everything works fine (with the open source driver).

Tested this on openSUSE 10.3 64bit and openSUSE 11.0 64bit.

Is this a known problem?

regards
    mibo

Comment

• Originally posted by mibo View Post
      I changed my mobo from DFI DK P35 to a P45 chipset one (ASUS P5Q-E).
      On the P35 I could use the ATI driver but on P45 it crashes my system everytime I startx. Using sax2 to configure the open source standard driver of my linux distribution everything works fine (with the open source driver).

Tested this on openSUSE 10.3 64bit and openSUSE 11.0 64bit.

Is this a known problem?

regards
      mibo
      What is the failure? A stack dump would be useful.

We have seen some libint10 issue on some NV or Intel chipset systems. In all cases a System BIOS update fixed the problem. If you can post your stack-dump, that would be great. Please wait a day or two before updating your BIOS so that we can try to get an understanding of the problem.

A System BIOS update fixing the problem sounds like it isn't a driver problem, although I would at least like to fail nicely rather than catastrophically.

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

• Thank you for the quick response.
        I updated the BIOS yesterday (from 0704 to 0706) but this did not change anything.

Sorry for being uneducated, but how can I get a stack dump? When X tries to start up there is a mouse cursor (arrow) and some pixel garbage shown. Then the display goes black and the machine does not respond to anything. How can I make a stack dump in this situation?

Comment

• I experience the exact same problem on my P45 chipset (Asus P5Q Pro, latest BIOS). Starting the X server shows either pixel corruption + mouse cursor in small area of the center of the screen, or just a black screen. It completely locks my system up. I am using Ubuntu 8.04 on x86_64. My GPU is HD4850.

Edit: I tried the latest kernel (2.6.25.9), same results. This really bums me out, I just built a computer to replace my aging 5 year old one and the graphics card doesnt even work properly. I chose ATI because the advertisement of "launch day support for Linux".
          Last edited by Chris Clearwater; 27 June 2008, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• I have a P5Q Pro with the original 0506 bios and got no locks problems with hd4850 and ubuntu hardy

though I have bad tearing and black borders ^^
            I need to try the fix

Comment

• mirak63, How did you install drivers? What does your xorg.conf look like? Anything unusual about your setup?

Edit: Are you running 64bit?
              Last edited by Chris Clearwater; 28 June 2008, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• I use ubuntu hardy 64bits
                with Q9300
                xorg.conf was generated by aticonfig
                I don't use a pci sound card and ethernet pci card, how do you use the internal ones with ubuntu ?

Comment

• I bought a cheapo $7 8139too ethernet card. I haven't tried getting sound yet. It is supposed to work though. How did you install catalyst 8.6 btw?

Comment

• I created a .deb from the installer with --buidlpkg I think

Comment

• My sound works out of the box, btw. I had the audio plugs in the wrong jacks before.

Comment

Working...
                      X