Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Releases Firefox 3.0

Phoronix: Mozilla Releases Firefox 3.0

This news is coming a bit late thanks to delays with air travel here in the United States, but Mozilla Firefox 3.0 is now available! Firefox 3.0 has a horde of improvements over Firefox 2.0. Some of the new features include one-click bookmarking, improved performance, smart location bar, instant web-site ID, full zoom, and a multitude of other significant open-source advancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And a couple critical flaws discovered with in hours.

Comment

Firefox is really a good browser.... but when there will be 64bit plugins for it? I hate to use a 32bit binary in order to have such things, when this (on a 64bit gentoo system) means using binaries compiled by someone else, with issues like this: http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=228491

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
        Firefox is really a good browser.... but when there will be 64bit plugins for it? I hate to use a 32bit binary in order to have such things, when this (on a 64bit gentoo system) means using binaries compiled by someone else, with issues like this: http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=228491
        you can use nspluginwrapper, it works perfectly for flash, but the java plugin doesn't use NPAPI, so it doesn't work with it.

I rarely come across an occasion that I have to use java, if it's important I do it on another computer.

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
          you can use nspluginwrapper, it works perfectly for flash, but the java plugin doesn't use NPAPI, so it doesn't work with it.

I rarely come across an occasion that I have to use java, if it's important I do it on another computer.
          Yep, but sometimes "using another computer" is not a solution. Well I should have both mozilla-firefox and mozilla-firefox-bin but that would make strange issues arise.
          And nspluginwrapper is know to have memory leaks. I hope it's only in the previous versions. I don't know.

Well, I think I will use both the precompiled and the compiled by myself. Even if it's a really bad solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
            Yep, but sometimes "using another computer" is not a solution. Well I should have both mozilla-firefox and mozilla-firefox-bin but that would make strange issues arise.
            And nspluginwrapper is know to have memory leaks. I hope it's only in the previous versions. I don't know.

Well, I think I will use both the precompiled and the compiled by myself. Even if it's a really bad solution.
            I used to have 32-bit and 64-bit installed, 32-bit was in /home/apps/firefox-32

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
              I used to have 32-bit and 64-bit installed, 32-bit was in /home/apps/firefox-32
              With gentoo is simply: you have both installed with portage and to use the pre-compiled you simply call firefox-bin and for the 64bit firefox.

What I hate is simply to have the same app duplicated, more the compatibility dependencies for the 32bit one. Just that.

Comment

Working...
              X