Thread: Mozilla Releases Firefox 3.0

Default Mozilla Releases Firefox 3.0

Phoronix: Mozilla Releases Firefox 3.0

This news is coming a bit late thanks to delays with air travel here in the United States, but Mozilla Firefox 3.0 is now available! Firefox 3.0 has a horde of improvements over Firefox 2.0. Some of the new features include one-click bookmarking, improved performance, smart location bar, instant web-site ID, full zoom, and a multitude of other significant open-source advancements...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjUzNQ

And a couple critical flaws discovered with in hours.

Firefox is really a good browser.... but when there will be 64bit plugins for it? I hate to use a 32bit binary in order to have such things, when this (on a 64bit gentoo system) means using binaries compiled by someone else, with issues like this: http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=228491

Quote Originally Posted by Vighy View Post
    Firefox is really a good browser.... but when there will be 64bit plugins for it? I hate to use a 32bit binary in order to have such things, when this (on a 64bit gentoo system) means using binaries compiled by someone else, with issues like this: http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=228491
    you can use nspluginwrapper, it works perfectly for flash, but the java plugin doesn't use NPAPI, so it doesn't work with it.

I rarely come across an occasion that I have to use java, if it's important I do it on another computer.

Quote Originally Posted by some-guy View Post
    you can use nspluginwrapper, it works perfectly for flash, but the java plugin doesn't use NPAPI, so it doesn't work with it.

I rarely come across an occasion that I have to use java, if it's important I do it on another computer.
    Yep, but sometimes "using another computer" is not a solution. Well I should have both mozilla-firefox and mozilla-firefox-bin but that would make strange issues arise.
    And nspluginwrapper is know to have memory leaks. I hope it's only in the previous versions. I don't know.

Well, I think I will use both the precompiled and the compiled by myself. Even if it's a really bad solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Vighy View Post
    Yep, but sometimes "using another computer" is not a solution. Well I should have both mozilla-firefox and mozilla-firefox-bin but that would make strange issues arise.
    And nspluginwrapper is know to have memory leaks. I hope it's only in the previous versions. I don't know.

Well, I think I will use both the precompiled and the compiled by myself. Even if it's a really bad solution.
    I used to have 32-bit and 64-bit installed, 32-bit was in /home/apps/firefox-32

Quote Originally Posted by some-guy View Post
    I used to have 32-bit and 64-bit installed, 32-bit was in /home/apps/firefox-32
    With gentoo is simply: you have both installed with portage and to use the pre-compiled you simply call firefox-bin and for the 64bit firefox.

What I hate is simply to have the same app duplicated, more the compatibility dependencies for the 32bit one. Just that.