Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work On Nouveau Companion Halted

Phoronix: Work On Nouveau Companion Halted

It's been over a month since Nouveau Companion 39, but don't expect the 40th edition of the Nouveau Companion to come anytime soon. In a message to Phoronix, the Nouveau Companion's lead writer "KoalaBR" has said "the project is in a kind of hiatus." This is mostly because Stephane Marchesin, the leader of Nouveau, has been missing due to looking at future job opportunities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

as long as they don't stop working on nouveau itself...

Comment

I hope this is just the companion and not the whole project. They still need someone to make english of the updates everyone once in a while, that would be nice.

Comment

i was thinking the worst - that nvidia took action against them.

they should be hired by nvidia, given the specs and paid to keep working on nouveau ;-)
        Last edited by yoshi314; 19 June 2008, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Nouveau: Time to say goodbye?

A spark of life 3 days ago in the git repository, then the nouveau project fell back to silence.

And now they say "the project leader is seeking a job - possibly a job that involves hours and hours and hours of well-or-at-least-fairly paid coding", so, if Mr. Marchesin enjoys writing code, why on earth should he spend hours coding for free when he can spend the same hours coding for money?

And where are all the others? desaparecidos? "Found a real girlfriend at last, no more a computer-nerd"? "end of term exams, sorry..."? "mom locked my PC in the cupboard coz my marks did not met her expectations and she said it was because I spend too much time at that computer and too little on school books"? "Whoa! SuperMegaUltraRacer XXIII for PlayBox V is out, I won't stop playing until I beat the machine and set the fastest lap on all the 3718 tracks! - oh wait, I don't have a PlayBox V, it costs $999.99, ok I'll buy one with the money I was saving for the new NVidia cards I needed for that nouv... Nuvy.. what was the name of the project? ah no matter... SuperMegaUltraRacer XXIII here I come!!!"

Sorry for sarcasm, blame me if you like, but that's the sad truth: Intel's backing the open driver at best; AMD is supporting open projects with specs, Novell($oft) is funding RadeonHD...
          Nvidia isn't backing nouveau. No one backs Nouveau. No specs, no money, no personnel, no hardware, nothing. Only a few volunteers, with a real life to carry on.
          And please, don't tell me "donate!", my $10 or my old GeForce2 won't fuel the project that much...
          It was a good dream... but my next video card will be an ATI.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickup View Post
            And please, don't tell me "donate!",
            Hmm... I wonder what happened to the $10,000 pledge drive they successfully raised but then had problems getting it to developers without taxes... I haven't heard anything on that in a while.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Novell($oft) is funding RadeonHD...
              Strictly speaking AMD and Novell are co-funding radeonhd work.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Hmm... I wonder what happened to the $10,000 pledge drive they successfully raised but then had problems getting it to developers without taxes... I haven't heard anything on that in a while.
                $ 10,000? just enough to pay the team's bills for a month, maybe two.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Strictly speaking AMD and Novell are co-funding radeonhd work.
                  Even better!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Last I heard about it was that it's completely off... Of course money is nice for those guys, but you can certainly make a difference by donating. I donated a 8400gs to stillunknown (we live in the same country, makes it even easier) so he could work on geforce 8 series. Ever since I donated he spent quite some time on it...

Of course donating a few cards won't make it a complete driver etc. but as long as we're the only one to help we better try to help instead of complaining...

Someone here said his next card is an ati card. I've always had that thing going for nvidia but I think he's right, the odds have turned and with the current offerings in hardware and software I think ati is the way to go.

Thanks for the right decision amd and good luck to all nouveau devs that have to work their ass off for community respect.
                    Regards,

Michael

Comment

Working...
                    X