There's A Push To Try To Release Debian 8.0 Jessie Before February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's A Push To Try To Release Debian 8.0 Jessie Before February

Phoronix: There's A Push To Try To Release Debian 8.0 Jessie Before February

Lucas Nussbaum, the Debian Project Leader, is pushing to try to have Debian 8.0 "Jessie" ready for release within the next twelve weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It can be done. But I think Debian is really moving fast for the past few months so packages that has RC bugs are bumped to next version not allowing time to file new RC bugs. So I expect the bug count increase in the coming weeks as the freeze has started just few days ago.

Comment

After Canonical announced Mir I switched from Ubuntu to Arch Linux and Debian. IMHO with Mir and Unity, Ubuntu lost much on popularity and it's nice to see that Debian gained on popularity.

Comment

Originally posted by blubbaer View Post
        After Canonical announced Mir I switched from Ubuntu to Arch Linux and Debian. IMHO with Mir and Unity, Ubuntu lost much on popularity and it's nice to see that Debian gained on popularity.
        You do know that no Ubuntu user is forced to use Mir and Unity, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Malizor View Post
          yeah, I know. But replacing GNOME with Unity and choosing Mir instead of supporting Wayland are some decisions that I don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by Malizor View Post
            Unity is default, mir will be default. Why would you use ubuntu if you don't want this?

Comment

But you are forced to use libgtk-custom-unity-old.so instead libgtk.so =)

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                Unity is default, mir will be default. Why would you use ubuntu if you don't want this?
                Then use Kubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome or whatever. They don't use Unity by default and probably will end up using Wayland. Yet they are still "Ubuntu".

I can understand people switching distro because they don't like the community, the packaging system or else. But switching because of the default DE of one variant is just stupid.
                If you install Gnome, KDE, I3 or Awesome on Debian or Arch, you are still using Debian or Arch...
                Did you ever encounter someone who don't use Debian only because the DE selected by default in the installer is Gnome? Me neither.

It reminds me of some Ubuntu haters that use Mint and don't realise they are technically still using Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
                  But you are forced to use libgtk-custom-unity-old.so instead libgtk.so =)
                  Here we are talking. At least this is a technical reason, not an opinion.
                  Just for my information, what problem does it cause in practice?

On the plus side, the switch to Unity 8/Mir is supposed to allow the removal of these GTK patches as they should not be needed anymore when Unity 7 will be deprecated.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                    There is still Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome etc. for those who don't like Unity. One reason to use Ubuntu over Debian is that Ubuntu has hardware enablement (backports of modern kernels and drivers to prior releases) so that it will work on new hardware. Case in point - Debian Jessie still does not work properly on Intel GPUs from Ivy Bridge onwards (ie. every Intel laptop sold since 2012). xserver-xorg-video-intel in Jessie has almost 100 open bugs filed against it. The Debian Wheezy installer (various releases from 2013 to 2014) wouldn't even boot on Ivy Bridge graphic systems. Broadwell will be out soon, and yet Jessie - to be released in 2015 - is still unstable on Intel GPUs from 2012+.

Comment

Working...
                    X