Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Intel GMA 4-Series Support On Linux

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,805

    Default Intel GMA 4-Series Support On Linux

    Phoronix: Intel GMA 4-Series Support On Linux

    Committed this afternoon to the xf86-video-intel driver development branch at FreeDesktop.org is support for Intel's GMA 4-Series Chipsets. The 4-Series IGPs (namely the Intel X4500) are brand new and is designed to be three times faster than the current Intel GMA X3100...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjUzMw

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    If that gets rolled out quick enough I don't have to give nvidia my money for that much power with the laptop I'm thinking of getting!

    Hurry intel! Your drivers are absolutely amazing, but I need more than the X3100...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    598

    Default

    With all the work there is being done on 3D these days, it is hard to keep track of what hardware is 3D accelerated out-of-the-box when you install a new version of your favorite distribution.

    Would it be possible to develop a small Gnome/KDE applet that tells the user if you have 3D acceleration?

    And if, where should I submit such an idea?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Germany/NRW
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    With all the work there is being done on 3D these days, it is hard to keep track of what hardware is 3D accelerated out-of-the-box when you install a new version of your favorite distribution.

    Would it be possible to develop a small Gnome/KDE applet that tells the user if you have 3D acceleration?

    And if, where should I submit such an idea?
    What's so hard about running 'glxgears'?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhick View Post
    What's so hard about running 'glxgears'?
    Nothing, but it would just be much more "professional" if Gnome/KDE or firstboot told weather 3D acceleration was available or not.

    I think it would be a really nice feature

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    4

    Default

    i realy hope that this X4500 Chipsets will be the first that support vaapi. According to the specs, it can do a very god job for offloading the cpu and improve the quality of vc1 and h264/avc streams.
    Last edited by JulFX; 06-18-2008 at 02:04 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Nothing, but it would just be much more "professional" if Gnome/KDE or firstboot told weather 3D acceleration was available or not.

    I think it would be a really nice feature
    It'll seem a bit weird, if your distribution needs to tell you, that you're capable of using accelerated 3D, as if it was a miracle.

    A better option would be to include a simple "glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"" and display "Direct Rendering: Yes|No" in the system monitor of GNOME/KDE.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huenengrab View Post
    It'll seem a bit weird, if your distribution needs to tell you, that you're capable of using accelerated 3D, as if it was a miracle.

    A better option would be to include a simple "glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"" and display "Direct Rendering: Yes|No" in the system monitor of GNOME/KDE.
    That was exactly what I was looking for =)

    Upon the first boot something should do your command, and tell the user that you have 2D and 3D acceleration or that you need to download third party drivers to get 2D and 3D acceleration.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    997

    Default

    What does '3 times faster' than the Intel X3100 chips mean? What level would that be?

    I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should hold off buying a laptop and wait for this new generation Montevina and the Intel X4500 graphics. I have just discovered that Nvidia has a major heating problem with their chips (namely, 8400M and 8600M) which is offered in Dell XPS and many HP systems. Those are two laptop companies I was looking into and if the Nvidia video chips in there are problems, I need to look at either Intel X3100 or video chips with ATI in them.

    Should I wait? How much will the new generation of laptops cost? If I wait a month, will there be a new type of thin/light laptop similar to the Dell XPS M1330 but with the Centrino 2 Montevina cpu and X4500 graphics?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    If it's feasible for you, I'd definitely recommend going with intel or amd for your next gpu, due to the whole FOSS drivers/specs thing for one, and yes-- I have had problems with my geforce 8400m gs. I applied a bios update, and it's been stable since, but I haven't stress tested it yet-- I should do that soon. Good old nexuiz

    Also, If I recall correctly, the X4500 is /already/ brilliantly supported under Ubuntu Intrepid and such.
    I hope centrino 2 isn't expensive just because it's new, I'd certainly go with it-- intel is amazing with all their drivers, none of this broadcom wireless or creative sound garbage.
    Last edited by ethana2; 08-02-2008 at 06:31 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •