No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 173.14.09 / 177.13 Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@rinthos: Eh, it's outdated. It plays Quake 4 just fine though (as long as I avoid the patch that makes it require SSE :-/ ). My upgrade was assembling a core 2 duo based system in 2006. I'm pretty sure I specified that the athlon was an old machine, though I obviously didn't make it clear enough that I called it that to differentiate it from my new machine Most I'd do for the old one is get an AthlonXP or something (preferably one from after the 180->130 die shrink).

@Kano: thanks for the advice. The CPU is definitely the weak point on the old clunker anymore. If the 96s can offload some stuff from it that'd be swell.

Comment

hello, i have a problem with installing the latest nvidia driver on ubuntu 7.10 64bit, here is the log: http://rafb.net/p/DQr0kX54.html anybody an idea what wents wrong?

Comment

Must be specific to rt kernels, try a pure one (generic).

Comment

No use... the screen blanks and X is unusable.
          FX5500, Athlon 64, nforce2, Sony CPD-E230 Monitor.
          Modeline in xorg does not work ... [email protected] is a blackhole ... sigh!

Forlornly yours

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            @MamiyaOtaru

I would use in your case 96.x - there are basically no huge improvements in 100.x series for your old card. I have even heard that only 96.x supports xvmc correctly - and your card would be able to use that. Would help to reduce cpu usage. In days of new dual cores thats just not so important but your cpu is real old
            I have a CPU that is probably just as old (900 MHz Celeron Coppermine) but does have SSE and I am running a 6200 PCI card so I can use the recent drivers. I know that XvMC works as I can play MythTV's recorded SDTV MPEG-2 files very nicely with mplayer with the "-vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc" option- it uses about 35% CPU. Just for kicks, I fed it a 1080p MPEG-2 file at 24 Mbps and it didn't drop *all* that many frames and playback was still smooth enough.

But MythTV is absolutely hating my 6200 and XvMC. The CPU usage is pegged at 100% for about 30 seconds and causes stuttering and then drops to about 65% after that and playback is fine. Just using Xvideo yields better CPU usage as the CPU is at roughly 85-95% usage but it never stutters at all. Is it the 173.xx drivers or something else? I am on Debian Lenny by the way, so you might be able to offer a bit of advice.

Comment

Originally posted by screemo View Post
              Has anyone noticed increased 2d performance with 177.13 beta ? (very unlikely..)
              One thing I have noticed is that 3D support is actually better with my 8600GTS. Specifically, that show-stoppper 'stuttering' bug that affects both the windows & linux drivers (most famously in UT2004 and its kin) seems to be completely (?) fixed now.

Better than nothing (and important to me )

Comment

Working...
              X