Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Mixes Gaming & Hollywood With Cinema 2.0

Phoronix: AMD Mixes Gaming & Hollywood With Cinema 2.0

On Monday AMD had made an announcement surrounding the convergence of computer gaming and Hollywood film making with Cinema 2.0. Cinema 2.0 is not a new GPU technology, a new piece of software, or anything tangible, but it's been described as just an inflection point and vision/road-map. Cinema 2.0 is similar to the Web 2.0 ecosystem and they believe it will be a defining moment in the gaming and graphics industries.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not dominate for gaming, but it's dominate for movies I believe

Comment

The Radeon HD 48x0 series techdemo is amazing! You can see it on several sites...

Comment

Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
        Not dominate for gaming, but it's dominate for movies I believe
        Yes, Linux dominates in Hollywood VFX. If AMD/ATi are serious about this "Cinema 2.0", they should realize the importance of Linux in the industry (pipeline, content creation, rendering). I don't think AMD/ATi knows the process of movie production, and this PR show is just to say "Hey, we can almost render photorealism, now do something with it". Keeping this on Windows, focusing on gaming, I can imagine a leap in Machinima, but IMHO it has nothing to do with movies/cinema.

Comment

Yup, the quick dismissal of Linux as playing any sort of role in this "technology" leads me to believe it's nothing more than a marketing gimmick of no real substance or importance to anyone.

Comment

This looks like one of those airy, pie-in-the-sky, "vision" things. But then, so was "Web 2.0" really. It takes incremental and sensible changes and tries to present them as a whole grand new idea. I'm sorry, I'm not buying it.

If they're trying to say that video games have become a new major art-form and entertainment medium, they haven't said anything new at all. If they're trying to say that games will replace movies, that doesn't follow any more than to say that movies will replace books, or TV will replace radio, or Internet news sources will replace newspapers. Great stuff, certainly, but not for the same purpose. This whole thing really seems rather devoid of content.

Comment

Why did this made it into the main News section instead of only a side-bar notice? Is not like it will have (in the forseeable future, at least) any impact for Linux or that Linux may have a role in it. I'd wish IHVs would also push (encourage) ISVs to write portable games (for instance), and to that end, they would have to provide solid software support for the platforms involved (is no secret that IHVs sponsor games, nVidia does it, and AMD, Intel and ATi have done it as well)

Comment

Working...
              X