Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases GeForce GTX 200 GPUs

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases GeForce GTX 200 GPUs

As expected, today NVIDIA unveiled their GeForce GTX 200 family of graphics processors. At this time their family is a bit small with only the GeForce GTX 260 and GTX 280 being shown off, but the GTX family should grown soon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To all those people who buy them and use Linux; Welcome to horrible 2D performance

Comment

GTX 280: 50% faster than 9800 GTX with common resolutions and 2.75x more expensive?

RV770, here I come!

Comment

What's the point of getting such a high performance GFX card as there is no UT3 client for linux yet ?!?

Anyway, there is also no drivers for these new cards, nor there is open-source support.
        So, to be clear : no real linux support, no business with me.

So, what's next ? Buy an HD 48xx or 38xx for playing teewars ?? At least, this game should be smooth on a twin 30" display ! No, there is Quake Wars and X3 is coming soon.

I'll go for a new computer, including ATI GFX because of their open source support as soon as there is a good game that my current computer can't handle such as UT3...
        Last edited by Fixxer_Linux; 16 June 2008, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
          What's the point of getting such a high performance GFX card as there is no UT3 client for linux yet ?!?
          Cuda support.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Cuda support.
            True. But I think there is more customers to play UT3 than customers to program/use something with CUDA.
            UT3 is more fun also, but that's another story !

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
              True. But I think there is more customers to play UT3 than customers to program/use something with CUDA.
              UT3 is more fun also, but that's another story !
              That would be debatable, the scientific community, the folding community, and the "consumer" segment that wants high performance mutimedia applications would dwarf the the amount of linux gamers I would suspect.

Nvidia admits that most of those 60,000 cuda developers are “playing” with CUDA trying to create “consumer applications.”

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                GTX 280: 50% faster than 9800 GTX with common resolutions and 2.75x more expensive?

RV770, here I come!
                Amen! Here the 280 is set to cost over $800 (I've seen them at $900...) that's just plain silly.

Comment

Working...
                X