Roadmap to Catalyst 14.10 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadmap to Catalyst 14.10 ?

Hi, I would ask if catalyst 14.10 will support Xorg 1.16.1 and in this case someone knows about an approximate date to the release of Catalyst 14.10.

Best Regards.

I would be very surprised we saw a 14.10. My guess is that fglrx is mostly dead, they will move on to the amdgpu driver while older GPus will be considered legacy and no longer supported.

Even if Catalyst will be updated, the release cycle is 3-4 months or more, especially for linux. There will be a 14.12 maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Finally, it's already November, so a 14.10 is impossible. (Version number is year.month...)

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      I would be very surprised we saw a 14.10. My guess is that fglrx is mostly dead, they will move on to the amdgpu driver while older GPus will be considered legacy and no longer supported.

Even if Catalyst will be updated, the release cycle is 3-4 months or more, especially for linux. There will be a 14.12 maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Finally, it's already November, so a 14.10 is impossible. (Version number is year.month...)

Thanks for the clarification i don't know about version-number. The next "fglrx" is now called "amdgpu driver" ? ... What GPus will be considered Legacy ? I've R7 260X (
      I hope my card is not considered legacy ...)

Best regards.

Comment

Well, I'm not AMD, so I can't answer your questions. This is only guessing based on how AMD usually works.

Comment

Michael posted in late September about an fglrx 14.50 driver being in the works. The current Catalyst 14.9 is based on fglrx 14.30. So I hope it will be coming sooner rather than later!

Source: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc5NzI

Comment

we are waiting for a new catalyst release

Comment

Catalyst

Actually, Catalyst 14.9 works with Xserver 1.16 and Kernel 3.17, it's just not officially supported by AMD yet. I tested it on Archlinux recently and it worked fine on my system but later decided to return to Mesa-git because certain Wine games can crash easier with Catalyst. Although, I suppose it could also be a case where the AUR and 3rd party repo packages of Catalyst may be compiled with special patches to make it work against a newer kernel and xserver.

Comment

Originally posted by hector View Post
                Thanks for the clarification i don't know about version-number. The next "fglrx" is now called "amdgpu driver" ? ... What GPus will be considered Legacy ? I've R7 260X (
                I hope my card is not considered legacy ...)
                Catalyst used to comprise a kernel module (named fglrx, I believe) and some userspace components, while the open stack had a kernel DRM driver called radeon and several userspace components. In the new scheme, both the Catalyst kernel driver and the open radeon DRM driver have been dropped for the new (and open) AMDGPU DRM driver. Kernel drivers are responsible for handling the GPU, and it was decided that AMDGPU would support only new GPUs (starting from the R9 285, I think). The R7 260X was already supported in the radeon driver, and it will continue to be supported there, even if it's not handled by the new, open driver - despite others saying so; at least, so AMD stated. As for the userspace components, most of them (the radeonsi Mesa driver, which is what matters in this side) will be the same for GCN GPUs under the radeon and AMDGPU DRM drivers, so no change there.

TL;DR: Your GPU won't be supported by the new driver, AMDGPU, but will continue to be supported by the traditional one, radeon; and, as for the Mesa driver, radeonsi, which is the one for you GPU, it will also be used for new GPUs, so you're not completely out of the game, and will still get support. You'll just not have the shared DRM driver and the ease of switching drivers.

Comment

I think the new driver using amdgpu will still be called "Catalyst"; the current one will probably be bumped down to Legacy status. Not ideal to make the Rx 2xx series legacy so soon, but I can accept that in this circumstance.

Comment

IIRC they will be also switching to glamor, making catalyst just the OpenGL (+ Mantle maybe) part same as Mesa is.
                    I dont know how will they support the older GPUs but they could retain current kernel shim module and whatever DRM/KMS replacement they currently have in catalyst and use glamor for X.
                    There were patches to kernel shim to make it work on newer kernel so this is hopefully not that big issue.
                    Bigger problem was X but if they switch that to glamor this will go away.

Comment

Working...
                    X