Low Energy Mint supported AMD-card for Dells 5K Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Energy Mint supported AMD-card for Dells 5K Display

Dell announces a 5K Display: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldu...r-2444160.html

Which Mint supported card with lowest energy is recommend for this Display?

Because of Driver-Blobs Nvidia is not an Option, and Intel don't sell dedicated Cards.
    Last edited by dibal; 08 November 2014, 12:34 AM.

When you say "low energy", what's your target TDP? You're going to need a card with 2 displayport outputs to drive that monitor, and that's uncommon (impossible?) to find on the lower-powered (<75W) cards unless you get a workstation card like an AMD FirePro or Nvidia Quadro.

Comment

I have a VisionTek Radeon E6760 that's fanless and has two Mini-DisplayPort ports.

The TDP is 35 watts (600MHz GPU and 800MHz RAM) -- similar to a Radeon 6750M.
      The Amazon price bounces around between ~$90 and ~$250.

The GPU should support DisplayPort 1.2, but I don't have a DisplayPort 1.2 monitor to test it with. (Also, one of the DVI ports is dual-link.)

lspci -nnv says:
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Whistler [Radeon E6760] [1002:6743] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
      Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. Device [1787:2323]

To get EFI GOP support, I had to get a new VBIOS from their support people.

EDIT: Also, this may very well not be enough horsepower to drive such a large display smoothly. Also ironic: many high-end video cards have only one DisplayPort port!

EDIT2: Years later: this card was a piece of crap. The MiniDP ports weren't even capable of DisplayPort 1.2, only 1.1. WTF?
      Last edited by DanaG; 23 March 2022, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Seems like a reasonable option if you really can get it for under $100, but I think if if it's near the $150 mark and all you want is a low-powered card with enough outputs, it makes sense to get something like the FirePro W4100 (it's Cape Verde, so comparabie to 7700 series) with 4 DisplayPort outputs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-132-_-Product

I'm not sure I would do it though (paying $150-200 for a low-powered card), when you could just get something like an R9 270 with 2 DP outputs. It is power hungry at full blast, but if you're not gaming it'll be idling most of the time anyway, and they all consume around the same energy when idle.

Edit: Disclaimer, I don't know how well the FirePro cards work with the open-source drivers.
        Last edited by plasmasnake; 03 December 2014, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Low Energy Mint supported AMD-card for Dells 5K Display
          5K is 7x full HD That is a large bandwidth needed, i think you will need very fast dedicated card that to be at least usable

Besides that, MST needs to be supported for 5K of course (because it goes out of specs for SST DP1.2, and you need DP1.3 connector for SST 5K ) in opensource driver, but AFAIK currently isn't .

Comment

Working...
          X