Fedora 22 Will Likely Make Apps In The Software Center Have AppData

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 22 Will Likely Make Apps In The Software Center Have AppData

Phoronix: Fedora 22 Will Likely Make Apps In The Software Center Have AppData

If your packaged Fedora application is to be included in Fedora 22's "Software Center", it almost certainly is going to need to be supplying AppData...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i don't think anybody should be exposed to XML

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
      Yeah, XML sucks, it also sucks that many think it's a "technology".

Comment

All the more reason to use Apper or Yumex instead. To me Software Center looks like an Ubuntu Software Center wannabe.

Comment

Will Fedora Software Center finally make it GUI to add repositories?

This is somewhat of a sore spot for Fedora when compared to other Linux distros. All I want to do is install Chrome, why do I have to go fiddle with all of these text files and enter commands at the prompt?

It should be click, click, click, type in "Chrome", "Hey, there it is!" Ready to install? Click O.K.

(I personally don't find text files at all hard to mess with, but I CANNOT convince one family member in particular to even consider Linux, when config files of any kind are required for such a basic task.)

This needs to be addressed. Unless I missed it. But I have gone through Apper several times, and did so just a minute ago, and I do not see a way inside of Apper to add new repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
            Will Fedora Software Center finally make it GUI to add repositories?

This is somewhat of a sore spot for Fedora when compared to other Linux distros. All I want to do is install Chrome, why do I have to go fiddle with all of these text files and enter commands at the prompt?

It should be click, click, click, type in "Chrome", "Hey, there it is!" Ready to install? Click O.K.

(I personally don't find text files at all hard to mess with, but I CANNOT convince one family member in particular to even consider Linux, when config files of any kind are required for such a basic task.)

This needs to be addressed. Unless I missed it. But I have gone through Apper several times, and did so just a minute ago, and I do not see a way inside of Apper to add new repositories.
            To be perfectly honest... if you want that... Fedora is definitely not the one to use...they're never going to have chrome in the repos by default and if you want easy One Click Installs... openSUSE already exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              To be perfectly honest... if you want that... Fedora is definitely not the one to use...they're never going to have chrome in the repos by default and if you want easy One Click Installs... openSUSE already exists.
              You misunderstand. I'm talking about the repository itself. All software(that I have ever seen) from repositories is easy, one click. Fedora already has that with Apper. I'll put this to you another way.

Livna should be a one click install. Right from the software center.
              VNC repo should be a one click install. Right from the software center.
              MongoDB repo should be a one click install. Right from the software center.
              Adobe should be a one click install.(I mean the repository, not the software) Right from the software center. Etc Etc etc.
              Repo x, repo y, repo z.

One click, every time. New repository, ready to go.

Basically, "I just installed 8 repositories in 45 seconds". Is what I mean. Click, click, done.
              Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 08 November 2014, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                You misunderstand. I'm talking about the repository itself. All software(that I have ever seen) from repositories is easy, one click. Fedora already has that with Apper. I'll put this to you another way.

Livna should be a one click install. Right from the software center.
                VNC repo should be a one click install. Right from the software center.
                MongoDB repo should be a one click install. Right from the software center.
                Adobe should be a one click install.(I mean the repository, not the software) Right from the software center. Etc Etc etc.
                Repo x, repo y, repo z.

One click, every time. New repository, ready to go.

Basically, "I just installed 8 repositories in 45 seconds". Is what I mean. Click, click, done.
                Again openSUSE is there and does that with it's Community Repositories feature in YaST, and the openSUSE-Guide, and http://software.opensuse.org can be easily used to fill in the gaps with other repositories. Now don't get me wrong I like Fedora but Fedora isn't really designed for that usecase, while dozens of easily added and managed repos is openSUSE's big thing.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                  Red Hat is trolling us again. They could use old good conf files or JSON - but why make things easy?

XML is a horrible format. Theoretically it's human readable be it's anything but convenient for this purpose because in average case you get more tags than data. Working with XML programmatically is a serious pain too - no matter what PL and tools you use. My job requires me to deal with XML sometimes. Well, at least I get paid. I would never even consider working with XML for free.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    Yeah, XML sucks, it also sucks that many think it's a "technology".
                    Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                    Red Hat is trolling us again. They could use old good conf files or JSON - but why make things easy?
                    y, i honestly do not understand

Code:
                    [I]variable[/I]: [I]value[/I]
                    [I]variable[/I]: "[I]string[/I]"
                    what's wrong with that ?
                    even the ini stile .desktop files are better then XML (not that many parsers parse .desktop correctly)

Comment

Working...
                    X