Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 8.0 Jessie Now Under Its Feature Freeze

Phoronix: Debian 8.0 Jessie Now Under Its Feature Freeze

Jonathan Wiltshire on the behalf of the Debian release team announced this week that Debian 8.0 "Jessie" is frozen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm pretty low RC bugs this time, can be released probably in 4 months

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Hmm pretty low RC bugs this time, can be released probably in 4 months
      This is great news, would be fantastic for me to be able to upgrade my heavily patched / and backported Wheezy server to Jessie. Features they've added between Wheezy and Jessie are HUGE. Proper Samba4 for one thing.

I seem to say this every time, but this is going to be the greatest Debian release yet.

I even noticed they now have a colorized dmesg. What took so long for something so commonly used to look more readable? (not sure if that's something systemd added or what)

Comment

For me it runs rather bad this time around.
        I use debian mostly through VMWare Player and both the open-vm and the official VMWare Tools integration has horrible bugs (stuck at shutdown, broken drag and drop, x11 crashes). Even if it works the Gnome 3 desktop is a hellalot slower thanks to compositing (with and without acceleration)

Comment

Looking forward for Debian 8.

Comment

I hope Debian will succeed in reducing the freeze times, as it was planned in the past. I'd prefer something around 1-2 months max. The original plan was to create an "almost always releasable" Debian testing, to turn it into a real rolling distro.

Comment

Overall it seems this will be fastest, Lucas thinking of 12 weeks by opening ~100 bugs today Even with these it is quite low but we will see, people are free to open any bug they have

Could we have the shorter Debian freeze ever? (wheezy: 44 weeks; squeeze: 26 weeks; lenny: 28 weeks; etch: 17 weeks). Given that FOSDEM is 12 weeks away, could we even release before FOSDEM, and have a big party there to celebrate?

Comment

Working...
              X