Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ati 4850/4870 support

Hi,
    what's going on about Linux support for the inminent 4850/4870 cards?
    I tried an Ati 3850 in December but changed to 8800GT because Ati card was giving problems with blocky/flickering videos and black screen when using console, but 3D performance (ETQW) was very good for the price.
    I'd like to try a 4870 when available if video and console problems are solved, and maybe powerplay support.
    Thanks.

Can we answer this one in a week or two ? We kinda don't like to talk about unreleased products
    Test signature

Comment

Sorry, I did not want to disturb you; what i wanted to know is if there will be Linux drivers available when the cards are launched, or weeks later.

Comment

#2:
        erhm, you dont want to tell if the product is gonna work as intended or not? your marketing department must be smoking some serious stuff..

#3:
        to answer your question, officially the card will work as good as a hot summer day works for melting ice, the truth however is, that you probably will run into a large assortment of very nasty issues, which will probably not be resolved untill you can use free drivers..

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of "I don't know if marketing is going to release Windows & Linux together or do some kind of split launch a week or two apart".

I know what engineering has been doing but I don't want to talk about that until we launch.
          Test signature

Comment

I'd heard rumours that the RV770 IDs already have been added to the Catalyst 8.5 drivers, so I guess we'll get early support this time. Maybe they're even holding back the Catalyst 8.6 for the Radeon HD 48x0 series launch? Who knows...

The only thing that one can be sure of if you open your eyes and read some hardware news sites is that these cards will be very, very fast and this is why I am going for Radeon HD 4850 in my new system (I'm still waiting for 790FX/SB750 motherboards)

Comment

Didn't someone here post some device IDs for the RV7xx chips when the 8.5s were out? I'm expecting some form of rudimentary support for the cards with the current drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
                Hi,
                what's going on about Linux support for the inminent 4850/4870 cards?
                I tried an Ati 3850 in December but changed to 8800GT because Ati card was giving problems with blocky/flickering videos and black screen when using console, but 3D performance (ETQW) was very good for the price.
                I'd like to try a 4870 when available if video and console problems are solved, and maybe powerplay support.
                Thanks.
                Hi,

now the cards are launched, what about my previous questions?

After reading lots of (Microsoft Windows) reviews about the good price/performance ratio of 4850/4870 against Nvidia GTX260/280, what about noise, temperature and power requirements?

It seems ATI cards give pretty high temperatures, some people said that Powerplay is not working correctly or the fan configuration in cards Bios is too conservative, suggesting to buy aftermarket cooler like Accelero S1 (additional cost!).

Comment

Working...
                X