Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Xeons Running Great On MSI's X99 Motherboard With Linux

Phoronix: Intel Xeons Running Great On MSI's X99 Motherboard With Linux

The latest exciting hardware we've been testing at Phoronix are two Xeon Haswell processors that are compatible with the MSI X99S SLI PLUS motherboard. Needless to say with being an Intel processor and especially a workstation-class product, the Xeon E5-1680 v3 and Xeon E5-2687W v3 are running great with Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is SMAP there?

Hi Michael,

Nice rig you got there! Could you please provide the "flags" section of /proc/cpuinfo of both processors? Please!

I'm particularly interested in the presence of the SMAP feature. Some reports from last year suggested that it will be introduced with Haswell. However, I have a Core i7-4770 and it doesn't have it according to /proc/cpuinfo but also the coreinfo utility from the SysInternals suite (need Windows for that, obviously). Also, the cpu-world.com site has a utility to submit the CPU features to their database and it's not present in any Haswell-based Core i7 or Xeon E3-12xx v3 CPUs. I'd like to know whether it's present on any Haswell or it will be introduced in later architectures.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

For me, will be interesting to see the results of Xeons used for desktop functions like gaming, GTK performance, etc. And if its possible to compare the results of 5960X.

It's interesting for who want to make a powerful computer for desktop and want something more powerful that 5960X.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
        Hi Michael,

Nice rig you got there! Could you please provide the "flags" section of /proc/cpuinfo of both processors? Please!

I'm particularly interested in the presence of the SMAP feature. Some reports from last year suggested that it will be introduced with Haswell. However, I have a Core i7-4770 and it doesn't have it according to /proc/cpuinfo but also the coreinfo utility from the SysInternals suite (need Windows for that, obviously). Also, the cpu-world.com site has a utility to submit the CPU features to their database and it's not present in any Haswell-based Core i7 or Xeon E3-12xx v3 CPUs. I'd like to know whether it's present on any Haswell or it will be introduced in later architectures.

Thanks in advance!
        With OpenBenchmarking.org, system logs are optionally (generally always) included with the test results.... Here's whole cpuinfo that was already up there for the system: http://openbenchmarking.org/system/1...W%20v3/cpuinfo
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          With OpenBenchmarking.org, system logs are optionally (generally always) included with the test results.... Here's whole cpuinfo that was already up there for the system: http://openbenchmarking.org/system/1...W%20v3/cpuinfo
          Thanks for the feedback! So no SMAP in Haswell-E then

To be fair, I couldn't find anything official from Intel that claims it will be present in Haswell. But lots of articles suggested it so I expected it.

BTW, before posting my question I went to the openbenchmarking.org link presented in the article but I couldn't find a link to the cpuinfo stuff. A click on the processor presents a page that says "searching functionality is temporarily disabled". So thanks again for the direct link!

Comment

ECC

Will the MSI X99S SLU Plus also support ECC when used with a XEON processor? It seems like it would, despite their marketing saying it wont. Given how so much of the north bridge is now in the CPU.

Has Phoronix tested this? If so, it would be the cheapest known motherboard to support 128gb of ECC DDR4 memory by far.

Comment

Is the E5-2670 v3 also compatible with MSI X99S SLI PLUS?

Comment

Is this mother board also compatible with the E5-2670v3?

Comment

Working...
                X