Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS Finally Supports Reading NTFS Volumes

Phoronix: ReactOS Finally Supports Reading NTFS Volumes

ReactOS, the open-source OS aiming for binary compatibility with Windows 2000, finally supports reading NTFS volumes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like this project and what they are trying to achieve, but I wonder if this project will become useful (for something) someday.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
      I like this project and what they are trying to achieve, but I wonder if this project will become useful (for something) someday.
      An uneducated guess, but by the time it actually becomes useful a few things will happen: 1) people that really need the windows 2000/xp compatibility will have moved on, 2) windows will become so different, people will move on to it or move away from it, 3) other OSes will provide a better platform for end-users so it will be meaningless.

I think number 2 and 3 are already happening now.

Comment

Originally posted by belal1 View Post
        An uneducated guess, but by the time it actually becomes useful a few things will happen: 1) people that really need the windows 2000/xp compatibility will have moved on, 2) windows will become so different, people will move on to it or move away from it, 3) other OSes will provide a better platform for end-users so it will be meaningless.

I think number 2 and 3 are already happening now.
        I thought number 1 is the more obvious one.

edit: ReactOS is that bad idea to persevere to catch yesterday's train, and they're stubborn and really stupid, they're doing it for many years and have no market share worth counting and no future. It's one of those projects that's so bad it's somewhat interesting, like Sharknado.
        Last edited by mark45; 04 November 2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I'm not so sure. I feel like upgrading from Win2000/XP compatibility to newer versions is going to be MUCH easier than starting from scratch. Once they have the 2000/XP compatablity down, surely a few people needing Windows 7 will come around and help out from there, and when that's done the Windows 8.1 people... and so on and so forth. It'll only get faster and better as time goes on.

This could, of course, not happen though... if they don't finish the 2000/XP version of ReactOS in the next two years (at a max).

Comment

If ReactOS can be 100% compatible with WinXP, then I can see it coming into a lot of homes and also being used for legacy programs as well. It'd be a lot easier to install a ReactOS virtual machine than say, a windows XP

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
              If ReactOS can be 100% compatible with WinXP, then I can see it coming into a lot of homes and also being used for legacy programs as well. It'd be a lot easier to install a ReactOS virtual machine than say, a windows XP
              The question is whether it will be more or less compatible with real estate Windows programs than the Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                I'm not so sure. I feel like upgrading from Win2000/XP compatibility to newer versions is going to be MUCH easier than starting from scratch. Once they have the 2000/XP compatablity down, surely a few people needing Windows 7 will come around and help out from there, and when that's done the Windows 8.1 people... and so on and so forth. It'll only get faster and better as time goes on.
                If Wine is any indication, no level will become complete before attention shifts to the next one, and when that happens, the previous level will bitrot. Ie once 2k/xp reaches 90%, attention will shift to 7, for a while the implemented xp support will work, then a year or two later neither will work properly, year more only 7 works-ish... Rinse and repeat.

/me is still sad about Win3 support in Wine. It's not complete, and it's long in the bitrot phase now.

Comment

Win32 is dead

Win32 is dead, now it's all about .NET!

Comment

What a waste of time and resources developing this OS. Why not contributing to Linux/OpenBSD/.. instead.
                    Does ReactOS already contain open source back-doors like windows? and is the shell already as bad and noob-made-unusable too?

Comment

Working...
                    X