Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Is Launching A New Web Browser Targeting Developers

Phoronix: Mozilla Is Launching A New Web Browser Targeting Developers

Mozilla has started teasing that one week from now they'll be unleashing a brand new web browser... targeted just for web developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thats.... actually sounds like a good idea.

I wonder if this means they will strip out the developer tools from firefox?

Comment

First you build a perfect website using great tools. Then you start wrecking your code with with ugly hacks for compatibility with IE8...

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
        First you build a perfect website using great tools. Then you start wrecking your code with with ugly hacks for compatibility with IE8...
        Oh yeah, I recall like 5 years ago doing a website and had to make it compatible with IE6 - it was hell and pure frustration, I wonder how many webdevs (%) still develop websites with IE6 in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Oh yeah, I recall like 5 years ago doing a website and had to make it compatible with IE6 - it was hell and pure frustration, I wonder how many webdevs (%) still develop websites with IE6 in mind?
          Microsoft dropped support for it in March this year so i assume even they don't test their websites in that browser anymore. I would also guess there isn't that many people who do that. I assume most web developers don't even have access to a computer running Windows XP, so they aren't able to test their websites in IE6. IE6 had a market share of 1.68% last month and its steadily dropping, so why would anybody go through all of the pain required unless the client paid extra for IE6 support?

Comment

Originally posted by Sn3ipen View Post
            Microsoft dropped support for it in March this year so i assume even they don't test their websites in that browser anymore. I would also guess there isn't that many people who do that. I assume most web developers don't even have access to a computer running Windows XP, so they aren't able to test their websites in IE6. IE6 had a market share of 1.68% last month and its steadily dropping, so why would anybody go through all of the pain required unless the client paid extra for IE6 support?
            There is a tool called IETester that makes it easy to test all versions of Ie. I've used this over the years.

Comment

In the rare event that I have to write something for web browsers.... ta hell with IE. Quick and easy javascript popup that says something to the effect of "your web browser is not supported, so if this site doesn't look right... get a better browser."

Test in FF and Chrome... call it good.

Comment

Don't expect much from servo for awhile. It's not intended as a replacement for gecko. Seriously, it functions as both a research project for parallelization of DOM manipulation (and, in general, as much of the rendering process as can be found to be possible) and a testbed for rust.
                Whatever discoveries that make will feed back into gecko, most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  Don't expect much from servo for awhile. It's not intended as a replacement for gecko. Seriously, it functions as both a research project for parallelization of DOM manipulation (and, in general, as much of the rendering process as can be found to be possible) and a testbed for rust.
                  Whatever discoveries that make will feed back into gecko, most likely.
                  While it's true that (A) we shouldn't expect much for a while and (B) it was never intended as a replacement for Gecko, just as a research project, Servo has recently been branching off from Mozilla. Not as in "we don't want anything to do with you" but more that they have their own Github page now (instead of being under github.com/mozilla) and most of the devs at this point aren't affiliated with Mozilla (or so I've been told). So even if Mozilla doesn't plan on doing anything overly productive with it, it does have a future as a layout/rendering engine that 3rd-party devs will be sure to make a reality.

As for the progress of Servo as of this moment, you can follow it via here: http://blog.servo.org/
                  (this is how I learned that Servo is almost passing the ACID2 test, it just has a small problem with the nose. They also recently included support for @import in css files. So it's not going to be ready anytime soon, but it's going pretty fast )

Comment

Good. Maybe they'll strip out all this developer crap from Firefox that I've never ever touched

Comment

Working...
                    X