Systemd Works On PPPoE Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    All the other network daemons like NetworkManager are huge and bloated (NM is bigger than all of systemd combined probably) and are designed for desktop interactivity.
    Not as much as you might think. With desktop use cases already covered, recent versions of NM are pushing a lot more into the server space - they're much more modular (e.g WiFi and broadband support can be omitted if not needed), and support for stuff like bridging and virtual networks has improved a lot.

That said, you're right about what the systemd network services are for, and considering their design purpose, they're likely to be a better choice for environments like containers, where the network environment is quite static.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Definitely. As a software dev I hate fractured/multiple solutions with a passion. And systemd typically also provides a better alternative.

I wonder what network software is systemd about to replace? I'm clueless about the (Linux / any OS) network stacks.
      Software monocultures always end up being problems. OpenSSL anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        I would agree with that comic strip and your point of view BUT in the particular case of systemd pal666 is right with his assumption that he has any clue about systemd neither he read the docs. That's because at the very beginning of the intro page of systemd there is a hole section teaching people about the spelling. This is so ridiculous that everybody who red this have to be remember this ? this was engraved into my memory ? and this leading to the valid conclusion he has no clue about systemd neither he read the docs, simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          Software monocultures always end up being problems. OpenSSL anyone?
          I am definitely behind mark45 and i know the pain of releasing Software for Linux, its a pain in the arse ? Linus is looking at this at the same way. And the whole problem with OpenSSL was the crappy founding. Nevertheless i see no correlation between a Software mono-culture by providing a simple way to deploy Software which would lead to more people releasing software, cuz its easier hence no mono-culture ? your whole point actually makes no sense at all!

Comment

I'm sorry, but what's the point on this ? Integrate PPPOE into a service/daemon manager, at the end systemd code will become bloated as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by dante View Post
              I'm sorry, but what's the point on this ? Integrate PPPOE into a service/daemon manager, at the end systemd code will become bloated as hell.
              This will be part of networkd, not PID1.

Comment

Originally posted by tomegun View Post
                This will be part of networkd, not PID1.
                No, see, EVERYTHING UNDER THE SYSTEMD UMBRELLA RUNS ON PID1!! Didn't you know that?? The init system is combined with every other project!! THIS IS WHY WE HATE SYSTEMD! BECAUSE MODULARITY IS GOOD!

*cough*

Comment

Originally posted by dante View Post
                  I love it when people misuse the term bloated when it comes to software.
                  In short, given how systemd is designed, adding the POTENTIAL for pppoe(or whatever) isn't the same as sticking the code into a single, massive for and compiling a Godzilla application.
                  Systemd is a project with a huge variety of contributors, and software developed with the intent that they CAN work together but only a very few are actually needed for any given install.
                  As others have said, this is very bsd-like, and it should lead to a far more stable experience.
                  That is, enterprise-like experience for all even without paying for rhel or suse.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    router is a kind of server
                    i.e. without broken shell scripts, but with systemd
                    you fail even at spelling, this explains all your difficulties with reading and understanding docs
                    Anytime someone rolls out the spelling/grammar mistake argument, you know that person has nothing useful to say and is best ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      router is a kind of server
                      You're kind of an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                      X