Don't Use Fedora's Fedup Right Now Due To A Bug With Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
    I think it's definitely a 'feature' (e.g. NOTABUG, WONTFIX).
    Normally I would say that LP would have dismissed it instantly, but since LP & co work for fedora, LP might get forced to 'fix it'.

"What happens when an unstoppable force (RH) meets an immovable object (LP)?"
    *grabs popcorn*
    Just FYI, systemd has well over 500 contributors. Lennart primarily works upstream. Other than pushing out new releases, distro level maintenance for Fedora are typically handled by other developers and maintainers.

In this case, the fix was backported by upstream into Fedora

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

In this case, the fix was backported by upstream into Fedora

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/s...711264748c6e4b
      Just realized this is the fix for a different problem. Probably a temporary workaround will be used for the beta release.

Comment

Archlinux also had some crazy problems with systemd 217, but only weird startup log messages without errors. Its up in Testing. I downgraded for now...

Comment

No, this isn't a bug in systemd... systemd itself is the bug. I mean, really, these "features" can destroy your computer if you aren't careful enough... and are enabled by default, even if they are not needed. Much like the "fast boot" feature that introduced systemd in the first place, that people bought as a big thing. And systemd was supposed to simplify things...

My guess: many distros will have exactly the same problem, and they will have it once and once again... until this "awesome feature" is disabled by default.

Now even windows users can laugh at us Linux users. Congrats, Poettering fans!

(BTW, I doubt having "500 developers" makes something better. More like, it makes systemd even more bloated and complex.) (And Michael knows systemd is awesome as clickbait.)

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
            No, this isn't a bug in systemd... systemd itself is the bug. I mean, really, these "features" can destroy your computer if you aren't careful enough... and are enabled by default, even if they are not needed. Much like the "fast boot" feature that introduced systemd in the first place, that people bought as a big thing. And systemd was supposed to simplify things...

My guess: many distros will have exactly the same problem, and they will have it once and once again... until this "awesome feature" is disabled by default.

Now even windows users can laugh at us Linux users. Congrats, Poettering fans!

(BTW, I doubt having "500 developers" makes something better. More like, it makes systemd even more bloated and complex.) (And Michael knows systemd is awesome as clickbait.)

Man You got it all wrong.

Low level OS is NOT responsible for Your hardware.

You either know what You are doing with it or not. In the second case get somebody who knows.
            Idiotproff is very very very counterefficient.

So unsafe ways for pros who know what they want. And middleware that handle it for less knowlegable user.
            That's the way.

Use Windows if You have different opinion. You will change it quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Man You got it all wrong.

Low level OS is NOT responsible for Your hardware.
              HAHAHA, it is YOU who got it wrong, the OS responsibility is to manage the hardware:
              An operating system (OS) is software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. The operating system is an essential component of the system software in a computer system. Application programs usually require an operating system to function.
              You either know what You are doing with it or not. In the second case get somebody who knows.
              Idiotproff is very very very counterefficient.

So unsafe ways for pros who know what they want. And middleware that handle it for less knowlegable user.
              That's the way.
              Exactly what I'm saying, systemd was sold as "idiot proof", because idiots don't want to learn a simple scripting language. And this "idiot proof" system framework is even worse than that... it's basically emulating windows, trying to simplify things, only to make it way more complex and non-sensical.

Use Windows if You have different opinion. You will change it quickly!
              I've used windows, that's why I use Linux. Now, systemd/Linux worsens everything, so I'm thinking about using another non-idiot-proof OS (it's either that, or having to deal with constant bugs because of systemd dependencies), because some guatemalan-brazilian-german "developer" (and his horde of political zealots) destroyed it.

Just stop bullshitting already. systemd was sold as a solution for users, but in reality, its target was distro maintainers and companies that profit from Linux.

Comment

I'm fed up with FedUp

I know it is customary to blame systemd, but I never liked FedUp. I have tried it twice, in both cases left my system in a garbage state. At least with yum --releasever I can see what is happening.

Comment

If you dont like SystemD there are other options.
                  Whining about it all the time just makes you look like a butthurt, childish, script kiddy throwing a temper tantrum because he didn't get his way.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
                    this news is 24h late for me...
                    got cut half way with all packages installed twice... a merry mess
                    had to dl the beta iso and install clean ; I had intended to install fresh anyway since a long time but kept updating since fedora 16 (so lazy ) so it may have been a good thing in the end
                    Did you at least turn it into an opportunity to take Btrfs into use?

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                      If you dont like SystemD there are other options.
                      Whining about it all the time just makes you look like a butthurt, childish, script kiddy throwing a temper tantrum because he didn't get his way.
                      translation:
                      I don't care about someone elses problem generated by my (preferred) software, lol!

Comment

Working...
                      X