No announcement yet.

Manjaro Works To Make Calamares A Distribution-Independent Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AdamW, thanks for your info. My bad on the wrong info, but many sites cover the change as a complete rewrite.

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
      AdamW, thanks for your info. My bad on the wrong info, but many sites cover the change as a complete rewrite.
      Well at a certain point it becomes a matter of semantics, I guess - any long-lived project eventually will have no, or very few, of the actual lines of code that made up the original. It's a 'the axe of my father' thing, I guess.

But I think the key thing is we didn't ever just sit down, throw out all the anaconda code, and write a brand new installer from the ground up. We've rewritten different bits of it at different times, and little bits still hang around from forever ago. But it's always been a sort of continuous thing, with the 'same' team (i.e. actually it's almost all different people from the ones who started it, by now, but again we never kicked them all out and brought in a new bunch of people, just the usual people leaving and joining one at a time process).

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

But this one is different! It will be universal and everyone will adopt it!.
        You talk about ubiquity for all kinds of Ubuntu and Debian distros.
        LoL. did you drink too much beer?

Comment

Requests are very welcome at their github

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
          Looks pretty much like the ubuntu installer. I'm not impressed, after regularly installing openSUSE on many machines I require far more from an installer, than what is shown here (LVM & RAID setup, package selection, auth methods, etc...).
          Ask at their github what you want to add to the TODO they are still developing

I asked for automatic default setup geoip default language, keyboard and timezone settings - being able to setup it too - and BIOS +GPT partition option, and they were kind enough to add it to the TODO

Comment

Replace "standard" with "installer".

Comment

Originally posted by ultimA View Post
              http://xkcd.com/927/

Replace "standard" with "installer".
              Why should i? To make your wrong statement even more wrong? None (the majority) of the existing installers are ? by any means ? competitive. So your argument is pointless! The Fedora installer is competing the Ubuntu installer? Nice joke, not.

Comment

You are aware that this is completely nonsense that Manjaro guys are developing it? In fact, Manjaro didn't contribute any code in a few month.

Most active developers are the developers of the distribution Netrunner (Bluesystems), and it has seen commits from Debian, Fedora and KaOS developers as well (though, majority seem to be the Netrunner guys).

Comment

Lead developer of Calamares here.

The Calamares team isn't really looking to create the ultimate standard installer for desktop Linux, we're just trying to offer something to distributions that currently have no good installer. Most of those, but not all, also happen to be based on Arch.

We have an official About page that explains our rationale behind Calamares: https://calamares.github.io/about/

Comment

Originally posted by pythoneer View Post
                    Why should i? To make your wrong statement even more wrong? None (the majority) of the existing installers are – by any means – competitive. So your argument is pointless! The Fedora installer is competing the Ubuntu installer? Nice joke, not.
                    My "argument"? Please, feel free to point out the part of my earlier post where I argued in any way. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't. The situation reminded me of that comic, so I linked it, no more, no less.

But just for your sake, here is my argument for why I think that comic strip relates: Of course, (most of, with some exceptions) the current installers aren't competing in the sense that they aren't trying to be THE installer for multiple distributions. However, they all came to life because at one point in their early development somebody thought - and maybe was even correct - that none of the existing solutions were good enough / covered all the requirements he wanted to have. Now the Manjaro guys think the same as those earlier did, so they come and present their own installer. And while they may (*may*, only time will tell) actually be technically superior to other solutions, I think many here will agree with me that the chances are rather slim that their installer will be adopted by any major distribution. And if we are right, we'll just have one more installer without the situation getting any better. Now, you really don't see ANY parallelity with the XKCD comic strip?
                    Last edited by ultimA; 07 November 2014, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X