Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLAMOR Acceleration Continues To Be Cleaned Up

Phoronix: GLAMOR Acceleration Continues To Be Cleaned Up

Now that X.Org Server 1.17 RC1 has been released with a focus on improving GLAMOR and integrating the xf86-video-intel DDX, Keith Packard has written a blog post about the work that has gone on so far since GLAMOR's inception for optimizing and cleaning up this 2D-over-OpenGL acceleration method...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is that beer or native sleep?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Is that beer or native sleep?
      What's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        What's the difference?
        Force or native cause

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Keith is lanning...
          I'll take him on in any game - your choice KP.

Comment

Keith is clearly lanning in that picture. He's so awesome he can beat you in Dota and Hon simultaneously in his sleep.

Comment

He was actually designing a new API/framework for Xorg in his head taking in account all the corner cases so that he could write the whole code in the evening and have it ready for the next morning. Yes, he's THAT awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Keith is clearly lanning in that picture. He's so awesome he can beat you in Dota and Hon simultaneously in his sleep.
                That is because he sleeps with Xxxxxx but not with Zzzzzz like most other people

Those with Wwwwww still dreaming

Comment

GLAMOR is worthless

A few weeks ago I tried out GLAMOR Acceleration on my Intel Sandybridge because it was supposed to be the future of 2D acceleration. I was horrified with the results. Battery usage and CPU usage were all up while 2D performance suffered.

If your hardware has a dedicated 2D accelerator, you're much better off using that than the inefficient general purpose GPU. As much as I love wayland, its lack of support for 2D acceleration, except through GLAMOR, is a major downside.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
                    A few weeks ago I tried out GLAMOR Acceleration on my Intel Sandybridge because it was supposed to be the future of 2D acceleration. I was horrified with the results. Battery usage and CPU usage were all up while 2D performance suffered.

If your hardware has a dedicated 2D accelerator, you're much better off using that than the inefficient general purpose GPU. As much as I love wayland, its lack of support for 2D acceleration, except through GLAMOR, is a major downside.
                    Which distro version and how recent drivers? The Intel Glamor version you were using may just not yet be properly optimized

Comment

Working...
                    X