Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Intel-Based Ubuntu Touch Tablet Is Planning To Launch Soon

Phoronix: An Intel-Based Ubuntu Touch Tablet Is Planning To Launch Soon

Today we've received some information a device dubbed the "UT One" that is an Ubuntu Touch tablet powered by an Intel Bay Trail processor and aims to ship in December...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe it's based on Ubuntu 14.09, their RTM release. Even though it's called 14.09, it still appears to be under active development. Smells like slipped deadlines?

Anyway, I wonder if Canonical even knows about this. Sounds like a third party using the Ubuntu OS. Which is nice, but for better support I'd rather wait for official Canonical tablets. I don't think their Unity 8 UI is ready for tablets. Most apps probably look bad when using a tablet, including the launcher/dash/whatever-they-call-it.

Comment

Battery life and screen are both really bad by today's standards

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
        Battery life and screen are both really bad by today's standards
        If the price point is 600 dollars, yes, if it's 350, that's another story.

Comment

*ceased

not seized

Comment

Why does the image in the article contain an airbrushed-over picture of a windows8 tablet?

I smell a hoax.

Comment

No its not

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Why does the image in the article contain an airbrushed-over picture of a windows8 tablet?

I smell a hoax.
              Hi,
              I'm Andrew and that has an incredibly simple explanation. As predicted here: http://liliputing.com/2014/10/ut-one...-december.html . The UT One is ODM sourced and also sells from the same ODM as a Windows and Android tablet. This spec sheet has a picture from the Windows and Android tablets. This does not change the fact that we are working to port Ubuntu Touch to the tablet and will keep up with major OTA updates that will be hosted on a dedicated system image server that is dedicated for that purpose. You can obviously see the reason I airbrushed out the photo as seeing it would cause confusion and many people don't know how to un airbrush a photo. So in conclusion, not a hoax.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post

I smell a hoax.
                Umm? it is a hoax in a sense. The kid who thought he had the knowledge to make his own distro brought this project to Michael's attention and all there is to see is a blank webpage.

Comment

Won't be live till...

Originally posted by Styromaniac View Post
                  Umm? it is a hoax in a sense. The kid who thought he had the knowledge to make his own distro brought this project to Michael's attention and all there is to see is a blank webpage.
                  Webpage won't be live till closer to pre-order date.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
                    If the price point is 600 dollars, yes, if it's 350, that's another story.
                    350 still too much. 220 or less is what should go for if it wants to sell.

Here is the price points IMO for similar specs or better:

Comment

Working...
                    X