Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMW 0.33 Re-Implements More Of Morrowind

Phoronix: OpenMW 0.33 Re-Implements More Of Morrowind

OpenMW 0.33.0 is out to offer the latest of this open-source project striving to reimplement Elderscrolls III: Morrowind as open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm very very excited about this project. Every release marches towards a fully playable Morrowind on modern systems!!

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
      Every release marches towards a fully playable Morrowind on modern systems!!
      I played in Morrowind on Win7 with GF550. Are there any problems with it on recent Windows versions or better GPU's?

Comment

Modern Systems being not windows XD

Morrowind as it is works fine in wine too, but this is an awesome project regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post
          I played in Morrowind on Win7 with GF550. Are there any problems with it on recent Windows versions or better GPU's?
          I've followed this project for awhile. Besides non-Windows systems, OpenMW fixes numerous bugs in the engine of Morrowind and allows for much more extensibility. It can be compiled as 64bit, and load more mods simultaneously. It already has better water and lighting effects. Once OpenMW 1.0 is released, all sorts of other things could happen, given that everything is open source: ragdoll physics, multiplayer, tessellation, occlusion culling, etc.

The engine it is based on, Ogre3D, is getting a massive overhaul right now which can increase performance by 5-10 times. OpenMW is already being ported to pre-releases of Ogre3D 2.0.

Last edited by EmbraceUnity; 29 October 2014, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Hoping for a fork

I'm hoping that someone forks OpenMW and creates OpenOblivion or OpenSkyrim, since the games all shared a lot of common elements and the file formats are very similar it would be really awesome if they were able to quickly get up ports of both of those games. Outside of the actual graphics improvements I don't think the games differed too significantly to make this impossible to do. Bethesda has already blessed the remake on the condition that they do not mix game content. So an OpenOblivion would be allowed as long as it did not contain skyrim content, or a skyrim remake contain oblivion content.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
              I'm hoping <...> OpenOblivion or OpenSkyrim
              OpenFallout3 with New Vegas support.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                Bethesda has already blessed the remake on the condition that they do not mix game content. So an OpenOblivion would be allowed as long as it did not contain skyrim content, or a skyrim remake contain oblivion content.
                Basically Bethesda have zero power over OpenMW and it's can't dictate them what's their project can or can't do. Only reason why weird letters from Bethesda appear in first place it's because someone who send them don't actually understand what OpenMW actually is and treat it as "mod". E.g for example they can prohibit to create mod that mix content from both games because 99.99% of mods are somehow based on original assets which is belongs to Bethesda.

In same time OpenMW have zero Bethesda's intellectual property in it: it's project written from scratch that re-implement original executable APIs. So anyone can take this code and modify it to do anything. In same time game assets license might prohibit certain activity, but it's only problem of end-user who using it.

Comment

Working...
                X