6-Way Ubuntu 14.10 Radeon Gallium3D vs. Catalyst Driver Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-Way Ubuntu 14.10 Radeon Gallium3D vs. Catalyst Driver Comparison

Phoronix: 6-Way Ubuntu 14.10 Radeon Gallium3D vs. Catalyst Driver Comparison

As a follow-up to last week's Ubuntu 14.04 vs. Ubuntu 14.10 AMD Performance Comparison and yesterday's Radeon R9 290: Gallium3D vs. Catalyst driver comparison, here's taking things further in looking at the performance of the open-source AMD Radeon Linux graphics driver in several configurations while compared against the closed-source AMD Catalyst graphics driver as found on Ubuntu 14.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OK, this is finally getting somewhere! 70% of binary blob is good enough for me to never think about using binary blob, except that there are other features:

- Video accel
    - OpenCL
    - HDMI audio
    - Dual screen

whats the state of these in opensource driver?

Comment

Originally posted by mirza View Post
      OK, this is finally getting somewhere! 70% of binary blob is good enough for me to never think about using binary blob, except that there are other features:

- Video accel
      - OpenCL
      - HDMI audio
      - Dual screen

I'm using a notebook with Radeon HD 4850M and desktop with HD 7970. Both working with 3D games, dual screen and HDMI audio. I didn't test OpenCL, but video acceleration seems to work - every video player online and offline works.

Comment

- Video accel
        - OpenCL
        - HDMI audio
        - Dual screen

Dual screen and Video accel works better under opensource.
        HDMI audio should work.
        OpenCL is being worked on.

Comment

- Video accel
          - OpenCL
          - HDMI audio
          - Dual screen

All of that works under open-source drivers (can confirm video acceleration is better on open-source), but I'm not entirely certain how feature-complete OpenCL is. For bitcoin mining, I suppose it's alright though (heard someone claim they got close to 400 (khash?) on a 7850 on Arch, which is similar to what I got under Windows).

Comment

- Video accel
            - OpenCL
            - HDMI audio
            - Dual screen

I use the open source drivers and video acceleration works nice in applications that support it. Seems like openCL is right around the corner. HDMI audio works fine, though only in stereo (which personally I find annoying). Dual screen works fine.

Also note that even though frame rates might be lower, your overall experience will be smoother. As a KDE user, my experience feels so choppy with catalyst, and several games also feel choppier.

Comment

Besides i suspect this result are with LLVM 3.5 not 3.6-svn, 3.6 should help quite a bit the RadeonSI cards in performance, OpenCL and memory allocation optimisations(i think i saw few of those couple of weeks ago landing in llvm master).

Comment

multiple generations?

HD 7850 and R9 270X are not only of the same generation, they are of the same Pitcairn/Curacao chip.

Why was no card of the Sea Islands generation (Bonaire: HD 7790, HD 8770, R7 260, R7 260X) included?

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  Besides i suspect this result are with LLVM 3.5 not 3.6-svn, 3.6 should help quite a bit the RadeonSI cards in performance, OpenCL and memory allocation optimisations(i think i saw few of those couple of weeks ago landing in llvm master).
                  I saw those as well. I'm hoping that soonish the work will be stable enough so that FAH removes AMD's drivers from their blacklist.I'll be quite happy to be able to fold my gpu's natively under Linux. Getting tired of having to run linux virtually.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                  Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

binary blob
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAS_syndrome

Comment

Working...
                    X