Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel VA-API Driver Gets Improved De-Interlacing

Phoronix: Intel VA-API Driver Gets Improved De-Interlacing

Linux video expert Gwenole Beauchesne has landed some Video Acceleration API (VA-API) improvements for the open-source Intel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's funny, just yesterday I updated libva on my laptop (Corei7 Ivy Bridge, Gentoo Linux) to version 1.4.1, and suddenly I had VA-API de-interlacing working in XBMC when playing back H.264 videos! MPEG2 videos had worked already for some time now, I'm not sure why they did and H.264 didn't. This is something I've been waiting on for more than a year. I just wonder why it took so long, considering VDPAU deinterlacing has been rock solid for several years now going back to my Gen1 Ion system (perhaps even earlier than that).

Comment

same here

Originally posted by Turtleggjp View Post
      That's funny, just yesterday I updated libva on my laptop (Corei7 Ivy Bridge, Gentoo Linux) to version 1.4.1, and suddenly I had VA-API de-interlacing working in XBMC when playing back H.264 videos! MPEG2 videos had worked already for some time now, I'm not sure why they did and H.264 didn't. This is something I've been waiting on for more than a year. I just wonder why it took so long, considering VDPAU deinterlacing has been rock solid for several years now going back to my Gen1 Ion system (perhaps even earlier than that).
      i can't understand why intel don't go with vdpau... nvidia ask for that and it's open

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
        i can't understand why intel don't go with vdpau... nvidia ask for that and it's open
        Still waiting on nVidia to figure out how VDPAU is suppose to work on Wayland. Out of it, VA-API and OpenMAX afaik only the first has tight coupling with X11

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
          Vdpau is only useful for playback.
          Vaapi provides a single, robust means of both playback and encoding.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            Vdpau is only useful for playback.
            Vaapi provides a single, robust means of both playback and encoding.
            So does OpenMAX, which is also vendor agnostic, standardized, and supports audio and image processing too. AMD did the right thing by choosing it.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
              So does OpenMAX, which is also vendor agnostic, standardized, and supports audio and image processing too. AMD did the right thing by choosing it.
              Some of the implementors have claimed that openmax is a mess.
              To give you an idea of the complexity, the current implementation of vdpau consists of an 11kb c file, the openmax header file alone is over 100kb.

Comment

Working...
              X