AMD Radeon R9 290 On Ubuntu 14.10: RadeonSI Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon R9 290 On Ubuntu 14.10: RadeonSI Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

Phoronix: AMD Radeon R9 290 On Ubuntu 14.10: RadeonSI Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

Our latest performance benchmarks of last week's release of Ubuntu 14.10 is looking at the performance of an AMD Radeon R9 290 "Hawaii" graphics card using the latest open-source (RadeonSI Gallium3D) graphics driver code compared to the Catalyst driver that's packaged for Ubuntu 14.10. The latest open-source tests do include the in-development Linux 3.18 kernel and Mesa 10.4-devel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does these tests include the recent HyperZ enablement for the FOSS driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      Does these tests include the recent HyperZ enablement for the FOSS driver?
      Read the first page of the article...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Its any way to install kernel 3.17 or 3.18 rc with fglrx in Ubuntu 14.10 (xorg1.16)? Maybe patch?

Comment

>While the Radeon R9 290 series is now over one year old, it won't be until Ubuntu 15.04 next April when there's working support out-of-the-box due to the non-rolling-release nature of Ubuntu Linux.

Ugh..... your not really being fair here Michael. The proprietary driver has had support for ages and every non-rolling OS suffers from the out of date mesa driver issue. It is a Debian, Fedora, Mint, ect, ect, ect issue too.

But ok, Ubuntu is the devil. Hey everybody, Ubuntu doesn't have the newest open source driver! LOLOLOLOLO, ubuntu, more U-bunchoflosersdon'tevenrecompiletheirownkerneltwice daily-tu, what a bunch of losers. In my opinion, Ubuntu users should kill themselves because they aren't as cool as me with my compiling skillz and fedora/trilby collection. They don't even deserve to live.

Am I doing it right Michael?
          Last edited by dh04000; 28 October 2014, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            >While the Radeon R9 290 series is now over one year old, it won't be until Ubuntu 15.04 next April when there's working support out-of-the-box due to the non-rolling-release nature of Ubuntu Linux.

Ugh..... your not really being fair here Michael. The proprietary driver has had support for ages and every non-rolling OS suffers from the out of date mesa driver issue. It is a Debian, Fedora, Mint, ect, ect, ect issue too.

But ok, Ubuntu is the devil. Hey everybody, Ubuntu doesn't have the newest open source driver! LOLOLOLOLO, ubuntu, more U-bunchoflosersdon'tevenrecompiletheirownkerneltwice daily-tu, what a bunch of losers. In my opinion, Ubuntu users should kill themselves because they aren't as cool as me with my compiling skillz and fedora/trilby collection. They don't even deserve to live.

Here's an idea - maybe he's just informing ubuntu users (who are a huge % of the linux population) that if they expect these results, they won't get them until the next release. It would be bad reporting to say "oh hey look at these great results I get" without informing people that it isn't a default setup.
            I'm sure you're one of those people who would sue a pizza shop because your pizza is too hot after it just came out of the oven.

Anyway more on topic - I think these results are fantastic and am excited to see further improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

What? If you read more careful around your quote:
              [..] Radeon R9 290 support isn't found out of the box as the open-source AMD Hawaii support was only recently stabilized, [..]
              For those wishing to enable open-source driver support for the Radeon R9 290, it's simply a matter of using the Ubuntu Mainline Kernel PPA to fetch the latest kernel [..]
              ... it doesn't sound like a rant against ubuntu at all.

Comment

Amazing results. What is missing from the open source driver compared to the proprietary except tesselation that can explain the performance difference ?
                Or it is just a mesa bad implementation that can not be fixed and needs extensive rewrite of a part of the stack?

Comment

Unfortunately such good result of RadeonSI might possible only indicate poor state of Catalyst on Linux for those GPUs.
                  Would be cool to see new Catalyst comparison with latest Windows drivers on same hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
                    Would be cool to see new Catalyst comparison with latest Windows drivers on same hardware.
                    Coming soon...
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X