OpenBSD removes loadable kernel module feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD removes loadable kernel module feature

OpenBSD has just removed it's implementation of loadable kernel modules forcing users to recompile their kernel if new drivers are needed.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html#20141013 (see: removed lkm)

The ability to load and unload kernel modules this an important feature in today's operating system and the lack of which is a deal breaker for many both server and desktop alike. Like many incidents before, this shows OpenBSD and Theo de Raadt's poor project management and lack of consideration for usability of their already mediocre operating system.
    Last edited by endman; 28 October 2014, 06:57 AM.

Yet again more slander

The fact is for NetBSD and OpenBSD alike, which were once the same project, have never had an abundance or a need for loadable kernel modules, the kernel manages to stay lean and not bloated, fast loading even on old 68k and MIPS hardware ( I ran an Amiga 3000 with NetBSD for years, and I still run an SGI Challenge S with NetBSD. ) I see this as garbage collection. The fact is that endman is uneducated in how computing works. The GNU project is basically Communism in software, promoting a better society at the expense of private property. The reason that capitalism flourishes is quite simple: It isn't the most ideal system, it has its problems, but it can run relatively smoothly so long as reasonable regulations stay in place to keep the economy decentralised and flourishing. Public domain represents anarchy, and the copycenter/copyfree licences represent a middle-ground: Minimalist rules in place to protect the developers right to his/her code, but little else.

Comment

Yet again more slander
      I think it's more like "yet again more anti-BSD rhetoric in the BSD forum" (aka trolling) from endman, which is probably a Pawlerson puppet account.

Comment

Working...
      X