No announcement yet.

KDE Developers Come Up With DWD Window Decoration Concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Dynamic Decorations (DWD) is a form of Server Side Decorations (SSD). KWin will have full control over all of these applications. This is the applications asking KWin to add a few more widgets in the decoration. The best part is that DWD can be disabled with no downsides (plus this lets applications work in other environments).

In summary: DWD is not a form of Client Side Decorations (CSD). DWD can be disabled.

Comment

DWD sounds kind of lame..

Originally posted by CTown View Post
      DWD can be disabled.
      This better be true.. Because, yes I know people are saying that the program still has to ask KWin to draw extra crap, but I was thinking "When would KWin ever deny those requests?".......So I really hope you can disable it (per application preferrably) for some of the applications (maybe chrome?) that want to go gung-ho on tons of extra borders and weird layouts just for one program, making it look completely inconsistent with the rest of KDE..

I'm wondering if DWD would really even take off at all, even if it is implemented..

Comment

KDE 4x was perfect imo, especially the later revisions. KDE should have further refined 4x instead of reinventing the wheel.

All these changes have me spinning. I dont think ima be drinking the KDE kool aid this go around.

Gnome 3.14 looks great, and so does OpenSuse 13.2. I think I'll hang my hat there.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
          KDE 4x was perfect imo, especially the later revisions. KDE should have further refined 4x instead of reinventing the wheel.
          Yeah but, KDE 5 is supposed to be an evolutionary change and not revolutionary.. KDE 4 has been out for many years; they can't just stay on the same KDE 4 for eternity.. And, you are free to keep using KDE 4 until you consider KDE 5 to be stable if you want to..

Comment

Serious question: How does Windows handle this? Obviously they allow you to draw things in the titlebar (Chrome and Firefox come to mind), and it's WAY more advance/etc than the Gnome version of "CSD" (same examples), so... why don't we do what they do? Obviously they do it quite well.

A few other applications come to mind, but I don't want to just make a big list of "how to do CSD right".

Comment

All these changes have me spinning. I dont think ima be drinking the KDE kool aid this go around.

Gnome 3.14 looks great, and so does OpenSuse 13.2. I think I'll hang my hat there.
              I've been using OpenSuse 13.1 since it was first released and have been really happy with it. Yast messes a couple things up but it's been extremely stable and the open build service makes installing software really easy. Access to proprietary drivers and codecs isn't as easy as Ubuntu but still miles easier than on Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodzor View Post
                Access to proprietary drivers and codecs isn't as easy as Ubuntu but still miles easier than on Fedora.
                On Fedora you have to enable RPMFusion's repo, under openSUSE PackMan's. There is no practical difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  On Fedora you have to enable RPMFusion's repo, under openSUSE PackMan's. There is no practical difference.
                  OpenSuse has a special repo just for proprietary Nvidia drivers which you can enable with a check box. And one-click installers for proprietary codecs. Enabling RPMfusion in fedora doesn't automatically do all this. You still need to pull down what you want from there.

Comment

KDE is further refining 4.x - they have already released 4 updates to the 4.x line since introducing 5.x, and will probably continue to do so for the next 12-18 months if it's anything like the 2007-2008 transition from 3.x to 4.x.

So you should have plenty of time to test the waters. KDE doesn't push you off of a stable platform like Gnome does. In fact, the KDE website recommends sticking with 4.x right now for stability.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                      Yeah let's implement all the bullshit someone came up with at some point. Let's get rid of a consistent clear interface and let all the applications do whatever they want to do.
                      Let the windows manage itself - there is no need for a window manager!
                      You must have read the blog very carefully to come up with that understanding....

Comment

Working...
                      X