Dead Island GOTY Now Available On Linux/SteamOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post
    I have tried running the game with catalyst under Kubuntu 14.04 with Steam's runtime libgcc and libstdc (which cause conflict with newer mesa versions since llvm is compiled with a newer gcc version) and the game runs ok. So I guess it is a problem with Kubuntu 14.10's libstdc and libgcc libs or a problem in mesa.

@nightmarex: With regard to the mesa textures, since I had only managed to run it till the character selection I didn't notice the textures were wrong (I thought they should look like that), but after playing for a few minutes with catalyst, you are right the textures show incorrectly, and also do in that selection screen.
    What is your distro, btw?
    Arch.

I don't know if it's S3TC related but that's installed so it shouldn't be the culprit however I haven't had time to look into it further.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      you can get far better performance playing witcher 2 through wine with CSMT or galliumnine, it's pretty sad :/
      If witcher 3 is going to be like this, i don't want it.
      don't know under which rock you live, but it has been quite a while since they fixed it so it overperforms CSMT. galium nine on the other hand doesn't translate on the fly, so yes... it is faster. just on how many GPUs, that's another question

and no. port is not eON based.

Comment

Originally posted by sacrediou View Post
        I had this problem too, and solved it using this :

Post here the game problems and your system settings! ***Only write what is necessary to facilitate the reading of developers.***

Basically, you need to add this to ~/.drirc (create the file if it does not exist) :

<driconf>
        <device>
        <application name="DeadIsland" executable="DeadIslandGame"/>
        <option name="allow_glsl_extension_directive_midshader" value="true"/>
        </application>
        </device>
        </driconf>

The screen where you choose your character now render correctly, but then the game crash when loading the first level (haven't managed to solve this one yet).
        That .drirc tweak did solve the textures problem. Thanks!

Still looking at how to overcome that crash after character selection... Have you reported that anywhere in the steam forums so I can add a +1 there?

Comment

Apparently this game is unavailable in Germany due to being too violent. Great :-(

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
            Apparently this game is unavailable in Germany due to being too violent. Great :-(
            It is unavailable to actually buy anywhere else in the world too since the invasive Steam DRM only really allows us to rent it anyway.

I say... fsck(8) that! Or at least hold off on buying it until a "liberated" version appears on torrents.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              It is unavailable to actually buy anywhere else in the world too since the invasive Steam DRM only really allows us to rent it anyway.

I say... fsck(8) that! Or at least hold off on buying it until a "liberated" version appears on torrents.
              Ok, I bite!

You damn bloody hypocrite: Why not refusing to play that game at all if you don't agree with how it is offered.
              Why telling people to pirate that game? Is there a law that enforces publishers to make a product available under your conditions?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                [...]Why telling people to pirate that game?[...]
                That's not what he said. He said to *buy* it and use the version that is available over torrents.

[...]Or at least hold off on buying it until a "liberated" version appears on torrents.

Comment

Might I suggest something else?
                  *Buy* the DRM version and "install" the liberated version.

... Unless DRM is just an excuse to stealing - and surely its not, right?

FWIW, Dead Island can be bought for 75% discount in steam. (I just bought it to support Linux gaming).
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                    Might I suggest something else?
                    *Buy* the DRM version and "install" the liberated version.[...]
                    That's not something else but exactly what he said

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                      That's not something else but exactly what he said
                      Still not sure I got him wrong...

A previous statement by him:

Originally posted by kpedersen
                      That is EXACTLY why the game needs to be pirated rather than boycotted.
                      So the publisher knows it is a good game and people play it, they just refuse to buy it because of the DRM.

Comment

Working...
                      X