KDE With Theoretical Client-Side Decorations, Windows 10 Influence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE With Theoretical Client-Side Decorations, Windows 10 Influence

Phoronix: KDE With Theoretical Client-Side Decorations, Windows 10 Influence

KDE contributor and graphics designer Ken Vermette has penned an interesting series of KDE "What if..." articles where he talks about (and has some visual mock-ups) about what KDE might look like with client-side decorations along and separately if KDE were to use Windows 10 design components...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I see nothing wrong with adding a few themes or widgets to accomplish this, but I definitely would recommend against doing it as a default.

Does get me to wonder though - why hasn't anyone allowed embedded widgets/plasmoids in the K-menu? There could be a tab just for that.

Comment

Martin Gr??lin loves client side decorations...not.

Comment

Windows 10 is obviously influenced by KDE.

This makes no sense.

Comment

I never understood the hate towards client side decorations. The applications look so good with it and there's no vertical space to waste. I've been using chrome without the top bar for ages. I've always preferred having just one bar with the window buttons and all the tab on the left than have a one extra bar with just 3 buttons wasting space.

Also those mockups look absolutely gorgeus

Comment

I love doing away with traditional window designs thanks to GNOME and Mac. Even the Windows Vista look of Windows Media Player looked awesome with Aero Glass in playback controls even though it still has that look of a traditional window design and glossy-looking tabs.

I wonder if transparency can be added to that CSD with widgets in them. That would make it Windows Vista-/Windows 7-ish.

Comment

Is it currently possible to resize windows with ease in KDE? I'm still looking for a WM/DE that allows me to resize windows without going on a pixel hunt. With easy I mean having at least 4 pixels hotspot *inside* the window frame (like Windows has had since 3.11). XFCE and Cinnamon (and virtually all default themes for both) are terrible in this regard. Until then, I don't particularly care about looks. While these mockups look nice, I'd rather see development time is spend on making window resizing more intuitive/robust. Surely, it can't be that difficult to improve this?

(I've written a feature-complete GPU-accelerated GUI interface library before, so I know this isn't rocket science.)

Comment

I'm fine with client side decorations unless we end up with applications that look like this:

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
                  Is it currently possible to resize windows with ease in KDE? I'm still looking for a WM/DE that allows me to resize windows without going on a pixel hunt. With easy I mean having at least 4 pixels hotspot *inside* the window frame (like Windows has had since 3.11).
                  In my setup it's more than 4 pixels and I never even thought about this being a problem so it seems like it always was that way in KDE. This is probably configurable but I didn't care enough to look it up

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
                    Is it currently possible to resize windows with ease in KDE? I'm still looking for a WM/DE that allows me to resize windows without going on a pixel hunt. With easy I mean having at least 4 pixels hotspot *inside* the window frame (like Windows has had since 3.11). XFCE and Cinnamon (and virtually all default themes for both) are terrible in this regard. Until then, I don't particularly care about looks. While these mockups look nice, I'd rather see development time is spend on making window resizing more intuitive/robust. Surely, it can't be that difficult to improve this?

(I've written a feature-complete GPU-accelerated GUI interface library before, so I know this isn't rocket science.)
                    in openbox you would alt+right click anywhere in the window
                    i changed that to alt+shift+right click as some apps use alt+right click themselves

there should be something similar in any WM
                    at least, in the more complete ones, you can set it up to do that (i know you can in E17-19 for certain)

edit: i looked it up; alt+right click is in KDE, fluxbox and xfce
                    alt+middle click is in gnome and compiz

PS alt+left in most is to move window
                    Last edited by gens; 25 October 2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X