Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Radeon 2D Performance Is Better With Ubuntu 14.10

Phoronix: Open-Source Radeon 2D Performance Is Better With Ubuntu 14.10

While we're most often looking at the OpenGL 3D performance of the Linux graphics drivers, in the tests currently being done of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS vs. Ubuntu 14.10 are also a number of 2D graphics benchmarks. In the article today are our 2D benchmarks between Ubuntu 14.04.1 and Ubuntu 14.10 for various AMD Radeon graphics cards and it shows off significant performance improvements.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those numbers mean CPU is now the bottleneck?

So what about CPU usage stats added to the next such test, Michael?

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
      Those numbers mean CPU is now the bottleneck?

So what about CPU usage stats added to the next such test, Michael?
      I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

As a Radeon HD 7870 owner it's good to see Glamor is about as fast as EXA.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I was thinking the same thing.
          I as well. Glamour should, potentially, lead to lower CPU usage, but these fairly early implementations may yet have told of draw calls and context switches.
          I'm not sure if they've even handled all of the fallbacks yet.

Comment

CPU + GPU usage, please.

Comment

Michael, why are you always forgetting my Radeon R290 when running these tests?..
              Since that's the newest card you have, shouldn't it always be in the tests?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                Michael, why are you always forgetting my Radeon R290 when running these tests?..
                Since that's the newest card you have, shouldn't it always be in the tests?
                Because it doesn't work out-of-the-box with Ubuntu 14.04 open drivers, so in a comparison against Ubuntu 14.04 vs. 14.10, it doesn't work.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Because it doesn't work out-of-the-box with Ubuntu 14.04 open drivers, so in a comparison against Ubuntu 14.04 vs. 14.10, it doesn't work.
                  Ah, makes sense. But didn't it work without 3D acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    Ah, makes sense. But didn't it work without 3D acceleration?
                    Mode-setting, yes. But GLAMOR (2D) acceleration depends on 3D acceleration.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X