Fedora 21 Beta & Final Release Slip Further

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
    According to Fedora website: "During development, the rawhide/branched kernel typically always have the debug options enabled. The only exception to this, is that there is a non-debug build done for every -rc rebase."
    If there actually are non-debug stable kernels for F21 then that's great.

EDIT: Their wiki page could use work. They mention at the bottom of the page that only during pre-alpha branched is non-debug unavailable. After alpha they appear to build non-debug and then default to it during beta.

I had to dig through RPM Fusion to find their F21 packages (http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...evelopment/21/). Usually they already have package lists up before final, just not advertised on the main page (e.g. http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...iew/index.html and just replace 20 with 21). It looks like they've had support for F21 since at least 2013-12-18.
    Yes, they usually disable debug once they branch for a new release, debug remains on in Rawhide.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
      Yes, they usually disable debug once they branch for a new release, debug remains on in Rawhide.
      From what I understand, even after branching debug is enabled and used as the default kernel and nodebug is only available for -rc kernels up until Alpha. Once branched reaches alpha they start building nodebug kernels and default to it for Beta. At least that's what I got from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelDebugStrategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
        According to Fedora website: "During development, the rawhide/branched kernel typically always have the debug options enabled. The only exception to this, is that there is a non-debug build done for every -rc rebase."
        If there actually are non-debug stable kernels for F21 then that's great.

EDIT: Their wiki page could use work. They mention at the bottom of the page that only during pre-alpha branched is non-debug unavailable. After alpha they appear to build non-debug and then default to it during beta.

I had to dig through RPM Fusion to find their F21 packages (http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...evelopment/21/). Usually they already have package lists up before final, just not advertised on the main page (e.g. http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...iew/index.html and just replace 20 with 21). It looks like they've had support for F21 since at least 2013-12-18.
        This is a bit misleading. During Rawhide packages are always tagged for next release. Ie rpmfusion has had f21 packages ever since they made Rawhide point to f21 and rolled a f20 repo. They have not had a f21 repo this Fall earlier since they don't do branched like Fedora does. Fedora Rawhide packages atm are tagged as f22

Comment

it does NOT matter

just go for it now, no need to wait, really
          I run on rawhide (f22) and failry new hardware (hp elitebook 745 G2) and it's great!! Sure there some crashes but only minor ones and abrt catches them nicely. 99.9% stable system! And you will only help developer but upgrading to newer.

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
            just go for it now, no need to wait, really
            surely there is. alpha was non-upgradable from f20. for beta it is blocker

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
              Canonical never misses release dates, just sayin....
              Yeah, because it's more important to hit originally planned release dates than not to ship crap

Comment

And I could just as counter-productively point to the myriad of bugs and problems they allowed due to their rigid release schedules, but what would be the point?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  surely there is. alpha was non-upgradable from f20. for beta it is blocker
                  Not non-upgradable. I upgraded using yum dist-sync and it worked fine. You can upgrade using fedup as well from beta onwards.

Comment

wonder why, how often do they update all software packages in the distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                      wonder why, how often do they update all software packages in the distribution.
                      The vast majority of packages (read: universe repo) are rebuilds from Debian unstable.

Comment

Working...
                      X