Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a HW fault

Hi again,

For the records, I have received a new A10-7850K CPU and now I'm working fine with the RadeonSI drivers. So it was a HW fault.

Thanks to all for your help.
    ?scar.

Comment

That's not a bug report platform either. Just so this will be clear: Fedora bugs are tracked on the Fedora section of Red Hat Bugzilla.

Comment

If you ask me that A4-5000 is pretty interesting - looks to me like hardware problem , because it is only one that has revision A4-5100 (and also one E1-2200) just 50MHz more according to the specs, but GPU stay the same 497 MHz...

And later as a desktop part called Athlon 5150 it is transformed to 25W device, +50MHz but now full 600MHz for the GPU... so if you ask me, that really smells like some sort of hardware design problem on first revision mobile part A4-5000, so some kind of performance suffering seems expected there
        Last edited by dungeon; 22 November 2014, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
          Not all hardware is equal, and from what I've read, AMD hardware is particularly diverse...
          https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=60389#c64
          That doesn't apply to the A4-5000 which is a quad core 1.5 GHz mobile SoC using Jaguar cores. Everyone gets the same system-on-a-chip. Implying that the A4-5000 is broken on Linux is false -- it is one of the best supported models on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Dekoski View Post
            Hi again,

For the records, I have received a new A10-7850K CPU and now I'm working fine with the RadeonSI drivers. So it was a HW fault.

Thanks to all for your help.
            ?scar.
            Honestly that makes me somewhat terrified. That's the very chip I was planning to buy and not fun to hear such heterogenic variants have been shipped

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              Honestly that makes me somewhat terrified. That's the very chip I was planning to buy and not fun to hear such heterogenic variants have been shipped
              Sounds like a defect, not a variant.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Sounds like a defect, not a variant.
                I was meaning it can possibly mean a batch of defective chips are out there. I do trust AMD but many retailers these days do their very best to try to nullify warranty and I personally aren't capable of proving something is a defect

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  I was meaning it can possibly mean a batch of defective chips are out there. I do trust AMD but many retailers these days do their very best to try to nullify warranty and I personally aren't capable of proving something is a defect
                  OK, I guess.... (although the expression on my face is saying "sure, but aliens could have drilled a teeny tiny hole in the APU lid and sucked out all the graphics life force too").

That said, "heterogenic" seemed to suggest design variants not defects. For what it's worth "heterogenic" probably applies better to the way we *design* products (mixing IP blocks from different per-block generations based on what is available & stable at the time) than to the manufacturing process (where "obsessively monoculture" is probably a better fit).
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                    That doesn't apply to the A4-5000 which is a quad core 1.5 GHz mobile SoC using Jaguar cores. Everyone gets the same system-on-a-chip. Implying that the A4-5000 is broken on Linux is false -- it is one of the best supported models on Linux.
                    I was giving a generic example on how things aren't always equal, and that you may have a different experience with hardware than that of other people.

Comment

Working...
                    X