FreeBSD 10.1 RC3 Has ZFS, UDPLite Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wikinevick View Post
    That's very cool! IMHO, even on linux ZFS is the best filesystem.
    ZFS is nowhere near being the best filesystem. Besides a having few buzzword features its slow, and unreliable. I would rather use ext2 or old reiserfs than the crap called ZFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
      ZFS is nowhere near being the best filesystem. Besides a having few buzzword features its slow, and unreliable. I would rather use ext2 or old reiserfs than the crap called ZFS.
      Slow .. depends ... unreliable I really doubt it.

I am pretty sure Dr. Lawrence (last name Livermore), would be very appreciative of the details so he may move the "few" installations in his lab back to ext2 (or reiserfs).

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
        With such hot opinions, I bet your evidence must be astonishing.

Comment

Originally posted by wikinevick View Post
          That's very cool! IMHO, even on linux ZFS is the best filesystem.

Of course, there's also Debian kFreeBSD that keeps the familiar GNU userland. For a desktop I would probably just go with PC-BSD though.
          If you want a GNU userland with a FreeBSD kernel, then Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is your only choice. Gentoo FreeBSD uses a FreeBSD userland.

Comment

Originally posted by Candide View Post
            As soon as FreeBSD 10.1 is released (probably mid-November), I'm taking the plunge. I'm getting rid of Ubuntu because of the imminent arrival of the mandatory systemd virus (Note: Ubuntu still uses Upstart but will switch to systemd soon).

I have used FreeBSD before, but it was some years. Overall, it was a good system, but Ubuntu has been good too and I'm sure I'll miss its ease of administration. It's a real shame that the vast majority of Linux distros are intent on committing mass suicide with systemd. I have considered Gentoo and Slackware, but there is always the possibility that those two distros will throw in the towel, so for now that's my Plan C. FreeBSD is Plan B for me because there is simply no way it can run systemd even if their developers wanted it (and they don't, of course).

People I know who never would have considered FreeBSD before are suddenly extremely interested. It's an ironic turn of events.

Unfortunately, systemd may create some headaches for FreeBSD developers, due to the growing list of Linux software (Gnome currently, possibly KDE in future) which now have dependencies on systemd. These dependencies can be worked around, but it's time-consuming for developers.
            It's already happened with ALSA. FreeBSD ports has an ALSA library wrapper:

At some point Linux software cannot be ported to any other Unix-like system (e.g. NetworkManager).

Linux developers are some of the biggest hypocrites. They whine when someone else doesn't follow the standards, but they themselves violate standards all the time. They are truly the Microsoft of OSS.

I'm curious to see how Wayland unfolds. But I suspect that will require a dedicated porting team (like KDE and Gnome) to deal with all the Linuxisms.

Comment

Working...
            X