Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel GVT-g GPU Virtualization Moves Closer

Phoronix: Intel GVT-g GPU Virtualization Moves Closer

For months we have been talking about Intel XenGT as mediated graphics pass-through support so virtual machines can access Intel Haswell HD Graphics GPUs from the host under Linux and the GPU shared directly with the VMs running on the system. This work is finally closer to being realized to end-users with the code working towards being mainlined...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this mean I will be able to passthrough my Intel i7 integrated gpu to a Windows virtual-machine running under KVM any time soon?

Comment

Originally posted by MannerMan View Post
      Does this mean I will be able to passthrough my Intel i7 integrated gpu to a Windows virtual-machine running under KVM any time soon?
      No, this technology is for Xen, not KVM.

Comment

Is this specific to any VM technology, such as Xen?
        Or can this work on KVM, VirtualBox, VMware, etc?

Is this specific to Intel, or could this be used by Nvidia and AMD too?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Currently only patches for Xen and i915.ko (intel haswell) are provided.

Comment

Originally posted by pali View Post
            Though according to this task on github they're working on KVM support:
            This project seems to target only XEN. As KVM is also used often by oss people, I'd like to see KVM support. How much work would it be to port the XEN changes to KVM? As the current work is mostly ...

Comment

Nice. Last time when I was playing with it there was only Xen support...

Comment

Originally posted by pali View Post
                I see.
                But is the code inherently for Xen and Intel, or is it modular cleanly-separated code built in a pluggable and extensible way?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

It'd great if there's a path to support hosted solutions like VMware Workstation or VirtualBox. For VMware, the Mesa drivers are blacklisted so, for Intel host graphics, I have to allow blacklisted drivers in order to enable 3D in guests. For some guests, usually Windows guests, this causes the guest to freeze and I have to force power down the VM.

Comment

According to a presentation at KVM forum 2014, it looks like gvt largely works for Linux guests. Performance varies from about 85%-98% of native. It looks like it will take a lot of work to enable this in other drivers, however.
                    Personally, Id prefer to just use pass through. Yeah, it only works with iommu/vtd but you get native performance. I don't need to run more than one graphical VM at a time.

Comment

Working...
                    X