No announcement yet.

Intel GVT-g GPU Virtualization Moves Closer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not up to date on visualization so please forgive my naive question, but does this GVT-g work on older hardware where pass-through is not an option?

Ever since I saw people doing pass-through with 90+% perf I wanted to try, but out of my 3 desktops, no CPU supports VT-d, and only one motherboard might.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
      I am not up to date on visualization so please forgive my naive question, but does this GVT-g work on older hardware where pass-through is not an option?

Ever since I saw people doing pass-through with 90+% perf I wanted to try, but out of my 3 desktops, no CPU supports VT-d, and only one motherboard might.
      Nothing to do with hardware assisted pass through.

Comment

Likely it's not an option because GVT-g only support Haswell and above.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
          Nothing to do with hardware assisted pass through.
          Nothing to do with specs required for assisted pass through?

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
          Likely it's not an option because GVT-g only support Haswell and above.
          Oh I see, that's unfortunate.

Actually I believe one CPU to be a 3220 so Haswell, that could work, or are pentium out the way as well?

Either way, is this for allowing multiple VMs with "almost pass-through perf" that pass-through couldn't do?

Thanks!
          Last edited by geearf; 24 October 2014, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Actually I believe one CPU to be a 3220 so Haswell, that could work, or are pentium out the way as well?
            3220 is Ivy Bridge CPU. No idea about Pentium and others.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
              3220 is Ivy Bridge CPU. No idea about Pentium and others.
              Newegg and wikipedia both say it is Haswell.
              Are you sure? (I don't know myself).

This seems to agree:

Comment

Newegg and wikipedia both say it is Haswell.
                Are you sure? (I don't know myself).

This seems to agree:
                http://ark.intel.com/products/codena...4/Haswell#@All
                Core i3-3220 is Ivy Bridge. Pentium G3220 is Haswell. You should have specified the complete CPU model name to avoid confusion. But I assume you have Pentium G3220 which is unequivocally Haswell.

Now whether it's supported by GVT-g I don't know. I would assume so. The Pentium G should have the same GPU pipelines as the corresponding Core i3/5/7s only fewer in number and possibly running at lower frequencies (and maybe missing video encoding support and some other bells and whistles but that's not really GPU stuff IMO). There's no better way than trying it out youself

I have a Haswell-based Pentium G3420 in my server but I cannot try this because I don't tolerate server downtime. And the whole Xen thing looks very intimidating compared to KVM.

Comment

Like you I'd rather have that in kvm as well, but I'd like to know if I should follow this or drop it till I get better hardware.

Based on your guess it looks good, so I'll keep checking.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X