Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ 3.16 To Bring Several New Features

Phoronix: GTK+ 3.16 To Bring Several New Features

Already on Phoronix we have begun writing about features in Git for the GNOME 3.16 due out in March. GNOME contributor and Red Hat employee Matthias Clasen is excited too, particularly around some of the GTK+ tool-kit improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Title fix

GTK+ 3.16 To Bring Several New Features and more generalized breakage.

There, fixed it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by R00KIE View Post
      GTK+ 3.16 To Bring Several New Features and more generalized breakage.

There, fixed it for you.
      Just shut up troll!

Side note. From the presentation video it looks like the Overlay scrollbars will be slightly better designed than the Unity ones.

Comment

Anyone notice this yet: https://plus.google.com/+WorldofGnom...ts/2Kcv2RU3Zg9 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
          Just shut up troll!
          So you?re effectively saying that "Pure CSS theming capabilities and is no longer using theme engines." will not break (again) existing themes?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
            So you?re effectively saying that "Pure CSS theming capabilities and is no longer using theme engines." will not break (again) existing themes?
            We?ve landed this change early in 3.15 to give theme authors enough time to convert their themes to CSS.
            Just be patient. I'm sure by the time Gnome 3.16 will arrive the majority of actively developed themes will support CSS theming.

Comment

The problem is theme authors (the ones I care about anyway) have stopped updating their work because the Gnome people kept breaking it. So yeah? Fantastic job from the Gnome devs as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                The problem is theme authors (the ones I care about anyway) have stopped updating their work because the Gnome people kept breaking it. So yeah? Fantastic job from the Gnome devs as usual.
                Maybe the switch to CSS will mean no more breaking (or at least a lot less). Anyway, from what I have read the reason for the switch was that CSS brings several advantage. If I recall correctly, they said they've cut the lines of code from 7000 to 2000 in Adwaita alone. Also, CSS is very powerful and widespread tool on the web and this can be an advantage for (new) theme creators. (less learning time, less code etc.)

Comment

Just be patient. I'm sure by the time Gnome 3.16 will arrive the majority of actively developed themes will support CSS theming.
                  Given how things have been so far I'm waiting to see. More theme developers might throw in the towel and call it quits as this means rewriting the themes from scratch yet again.

Maybe the switch to CSS will mean no more breaking (or at least a lot less). Anyway, from what I have read the reason for the switch was that CSS brings several advantage. If I recall correctly, they said they've cut the lines of code from 7000 to 2000 in Adwaita alone. Also, CSS is very powerful and widespread tool on the web and this can be an advantage for (new) theme creators. (less learning time, less code etc.)
                  So what you mean is that you have no idea if things will break or not. Judging by their track record I'm sure Gnome devs will find ways to break things for everyone else. If you haven't seen any breakage yet either you don't want to see it or you haven't been using it for very long, so don't go calling people names when they bluntly point out the elefant in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by R00KIE View Post
                    So what you mean is that you have no idea if things will break or not. Judging by their track record I'm sure Gnome devs will find ways to break things for everyone else. If you haven't seen any breakage yet either you don't want to see it or you haven't been using it for very long, so don't go calling people names when they bluntly point out the elefant in the room.
                    Anyone writing a theme should also be paying enough attention to the software they are writing themes for to know what is going to break for the next release and have tested their theme against the release candidates.

Comment

Working...
                    X