Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Feedback Directed Optimizer Merged Into GCC

Phoronix: Automatic Feedback Directed Optimizer Merged Into GCC

The latest merged feature for next year's GCC 5 compiler release is AutoFDO support!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I see day when high performance C/C++ programs will have JIT and adaptive optimization with embedded GCC or CLANG library just like Java and argument Java is better than C/C++ because it can optimize on the fly will not work. Of course from technical point of view can be a lot of problems in multithreaded environment.

Comment

Looking forward to benchmarks of it!

Comment

Originally posted by tautvis View Post
        I see day when high performance C/C++ programs will have JIT and adaptive optimization with embedded GCC or CLANG library just like Java and argument Java is better than C/C++ because it can optimize on the fly will not work. Of course from technical point of view can be a lot of problems in multithreaded environment.
        So far none of the Java versions have been faster than c/c++. You've probably heard of the language shootout game?

Comment

Originally posted by tautvis View Post
          Unlikely considering the header nonsense causes compile times to grow exponentially. Golang is fast enough at compiling that you can actually use it like Python/Bash when you use 'gorun' to execute go source files like scripts.

Comment

i don't see the day when people realize that C++ is far from C

as for AFDO
            looks good

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              So far none of the Java versions have been faster than c/c++. You've probably heard of the language shootout game?
              I know that, I this always hearing this from java trolls . What i have in my head about JIT, it is about optimizing intermediate code to machine code something like doing LTO (Link time optimization) with feedback on the fly (e.x. some sort of function parameters collection) and for example rewriting GOT entry with optimized function address. Of course it looks like benefit will be more esoteric than from real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                Unlikely considering the header nonsense causes compile times to grow exponentially. Golang is fast enough at compiling that you can actually use it like Python/Bash when you use 'gorun' to execute go source files like scripts.
                nobody is going to recompile headers, are all toy language fans that stupid ?
                unlikely because it will become slow memory hog, like java
                current state of the art java in android 5 uses ahead of time compilation

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  nobody is going to recompile headers, are all toy language fans that stupid ?
                  unlikely because it will become slow memory hog, like java
                  current state of the art java in android 5 uses ahead of time compilation
                  Feeling inferior because a 'toy language' has better features than your grandmother's language? Go compiles extremely fast and can be used as a scripting language because, unlike C/C++, it has proper dependency analysis, imports only packages that it needs, and subsequently avoids the overhead of C-style includes/libs. Every C/C++ file includes x headers which contain y headers and so on which only serves to exponentially increase compile time.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                    Feeling inferior because a 'toy language' has better features than your grandmother's language? Go compiles extremely fast and can be used as a scripting language because, unlike C/C++, it has proper dependency analysis, imports only packages that it needs, and subsequently avoids the overhead of C-style includes/libs. Every C/C++ file includes x headers which contain y headers and so on which only serves to exponentially increase compile time.
                    Modules are already part of Clang. They are (thank Apple for this...) on track, as far as I can tell, to be part of C++14.

Comment

Working...
                    X