Phoenix Is Trying To Be An Open Version Of Apple's Swift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Apple will be making it available, once it's mature. These efforts are a waste of time.
    Didn't people say that about Broadcomm's Wifi drivers? Yet, we still need broadcomm-wl for decent performance on many chipsets. The official open drivers still lack many of the common devices that have been on brcm80211's to do list for a while (and b43 can lead to a non-optimal experience to say politely).

Comment

Yawn,
      I've been following GNUstep for about 5 years now. No progress made on making a usable desktop (come on, where is the System Preferences plugin for network-manager or hell ifconfig, and a plugin for PulseAudio/ALSA. 0 progress on implementing Tables and SimpleWebkit ), half rotting applications with no focus around what they're doing and an API that frankly is useless outside of OSX, unless you want to run an application that looks out of place on every current desktop. Sadly it didn't have to be this way. With a more concentrated effort on getting the simplewebkit implementation and Vespucci up to snuff, and someone refactoring terminal.app to support tabs (something OSX has had since version 10.1 at least.) GNUStep could have made a pretty attractive development/desktop environment. But as it stands, it's not overly useful, and running individual apps as standalone, I think I'd rather see apps rewritten with a GTK or QT interface. It's a shame because the potential of GNUstep is so much better than the other APIs but the lack of development on the end user front means the API will almost never be used outside of weird projects like phones and obscure applications.

Comment

What's so good about this language that makes it deserve support from the open source community ?

Comment

Originally posted by MadWatch View Post
          What's so good about this language that makes it deserve support from the open source community ?
          AFAIK Swift is to Obj-C as Scala is to Java, similar to Rust

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            AFAIK Swift is to Obj-C as Scala is to Java, similar to Rust
            Rust is known to have some very powerful (on the paper at least) mechanisms to prevent memory and threads related bugs, and all this at compile time (so without any performance impact on execution). Does Swift includes anything as good ?

Comment

Originally posted by MadWatch View Post
              Does Swift includes anything as good ?
              I don't know Rust besides what I read on release notes and blog post about it, there's a user on phoronix forum, cmr~ if i recall correctly, I believe he can answer yours questions

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
                ...and manpower
                Why would you say that. It is like saying Go or D or Haskell are a waste of manpower. I may never use any of those but that doesn't mean other wont.

Besides Swift gas a lot to offer the development world.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  On the other hand a wait and see approach on whether Apple is going to choose to release it or not before starting such a project does have some merit
                  More importantly Swift is very much a works in progress. Even though Apple claims a version 1 release the language itself is still under active development. As such this project is targeting a moving target.

All of that being said I wouldn't suggest that these guys stop what they are doing. This projects harms no one and may have significant upside for the LINUX and UNIX worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    Apple will be making it available, once it's mature. These efforts are a waste of time.
                    I'm surprised that you said that! I wouldn't call it a waste of time. Even the ARM compiler/LLVM development for 64 bit got merged with Apples to good effect. Of course these guys are much farther behind.

Comment

Considering Mozilla had to relinquish the name Phoenix and rename their browser to Firebird I wonder how long they'll be able to use that name.

Comment

Working...
                      X