Ubuntu 16.04 Might Be The Distribution's Last 32-Bit Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
    Also, aren't almost all arm cpu's 32 bit as well as atom processors have only been 64 bit for like a year or two? Seems like there is a ton of 32 bit cpu's still out there.
    ARM 32 bit vs x86-32 is kind of comparing apples to oranges. They're binary incompatible so your point is irrelevant (no offense). Canonical is dropping support for x86-32, not 32 bit ARM.

As for Atom losing support, well, that's all on intel. Seriously, intel should've known better than to make Atom CPUs 32 bit. Pentium 4 should've been the end of 32 bit (and to make things more confusing, intel made 64 bit P4s, which is just simply retarded IMO). It sucks for anyone who currently owns an Atom, but on the other hand, ubuntu is a little too heavy for Atom-based platforms anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Yes, no matter how ridiculous, you'll always find stuff like this on the internet. Dude, grow up.
      Grow up? What? Because I made the point that 32bit is still in use? How does that have to do with maturity? You response doesn't make any sense.... and it is quite rude. No idea why you responded in the way that you did and it was uncalled for.

Comment

ATOM Will Run 64-bit

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        ARM 32 bit vs x86-32 is kind of comparing apples to oranges. They're binary incompatible so your point is irrelevant (no offense). Canonical is dropping support for x86-32, not 32 bit ARM.

As for Atom losing support, well, that's all on intel. Seriously, intel should've known better than to make Atom CPUs 32 bit. Pentium 4 should've been the end of 32 bit (and to make things more confusing, intel made 64 bit P4s, which is just simply retarded IMO). It sucks for anyone who currently owns an Atom, but on the other hand, ubuntu is a little too heavy for Atom-based platforms anyway.

Intel ATOM 230/330, 410/510, 425/525, D25xx series are all "in order" processors that will run 64-bit Linux code. Been there and done that. Sure, they can't take advantage of more than 4GB of RAM, but that is "by design" from Intel (built-in limitation in the MCH) and in no way a limiting factor to running 64-bit code.

Intel J18xx/J19xx/J29xx, C25xx/C27xx (Avoton/Rangeley) are all "out of order" processors based on Silvermont architecture. They will run 64-bit code. They can all address 8GB of RAM or more.

As for issues running Linux GUI on ATOM in 32-bit or 64-bit, that issue is due to Intel's choice of onboard GPU, not the actual CPU itself, especially with the ATOMs that have PowerVR GPUs onboard (known issue with PowerVR GPUS used with Intel ATOM CPUs). I run 64-bit Ubuntu 14.10 via CLI on an Intel D2550 CPU in a firewall and it works just fine; install via "text mode" CLI.

As for Ubuntu being a little too heavy for Atom, well, if you run a GUI I could see that being true.

Comment

The best part is that in 2 years I can finally stop using multilib for things that insist on 32 bit builds like Android SDK and Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba
            So I should throw away my netbook because YOU said it? This is retarded.
            Nobody's telling you to throw anything away. Just don't expect to run the latest and greatest software on it.
            I could use exactly the same argument for an old 386 I have lying around.

But seeing the post you quote, your reaction is appropriate. Maybe mark45 is telling you to throw it out

Comment

Originally posted by opensource View Post
              ... For people still using very old hardware: buy new one ...
              And YOU will give them the needed money?

Comment

Originally posted by opensource View Post
                I don't mind this proposal, saves also people-resources. For people still using very old hardware: buy new one and maybe not the 22nm Haswell generation, but wait for the 14nm generation because it's going to be released in a few months. But until x64-only ISO it a bit more time to wait.

calling 32bit only precessors very old hardware... it hurts my brain to read comments like this. The models are not this old, on the other hand my pc from 2005 supports 64bit.

The whole netbook line, millions of devices, are not older than 5 years, what I wouldnt call very old hardware.

But like people mentioned here, other distros are aware of this, and theres even puppy linux, what I really would comment for such old netbooks which lag all the time, for old models.

Mainstream distros like ubuntu should move on to 64bit only, to set a sign.

but dont call old hardware bad names. its perfectly fine for playing 1080p, browsing the web and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                  Nobody's telling you to throw anything away. Just don't expect to run the latest and greatest software on it.
                  I could use exactly the same argument for an old 386 I have lying around.

But seeing the post you quote, your reaction is appropriate. Maybe mark45 is telling you to throw it out
                  I'm glad you got the point of my reply

Comment

Originally posted by 2bluesc View Post
                    The best part is that in 2 years I can finally stop using multilib for things that insist on 32 bit builds like Android SDK and Steam.

Android SDK, maybe.

I'm not sure about Steam. They could make the client 64bit, but I'm not sure if they need multilib for games if you are using the runtime.

Comment

hm

7 years ppl, 7... in 7 years,... and even atom support 64 bits today

Comment

Working...
                      X