Emacs 24.4 Has Built-In Web Browser, Improved Multi-Monitor Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Wait, wasn't Emacs an advanced text editor? Why the hell do we need an email/web browser in it?? Kinda breaks the whole "UNIX Philosophy" that so many people are butt-hurt about lately (not that anybody pays attention to it when it's a project they LIKE :P)
    Emacs has always been like that... more operating system than text editor...

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      Wait, wasn't Emacs an advanced text editor? Why the hell do we need an email/web browser in it?? Kinda breaks the whole "UNIX Philosophy" that so many people are butt-hurt about lately (not that anybody pays attention to it when it's a project they LIKE :P)
      Emacs Web Wowser (eww) is a browser entirely written in elisp and based on shr.el
      Like most of Emacs the Unix Philosophy still applies if you think of Emacs and *nix as parallel systems, unless you have some ill words to say about Links.

Comment

Neovim anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
          EMACS. Making all computers slow since 1976, with a good web browser, a passable mail client, innovative task switching utils, but with a poor text editor.

/flamebait
          Poor text editor? Have you seen evil mode lately? It's easily the best vim "emulation" I've ever used.

For actual work, emacs + evil >> vim, I hope neovim doesn't flop because mainline vim refuses to acknowledge that it's strung together with paperclips and shoestrings.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
            Yup, this is a running joke [for literally decades now].

Interesting to see such an old thingy to be still kicking tho, I kinda dismissed emacs (and variants) as tools that only dinosaurs use [insert RMS's beard picture here].

edit:
            Last edited by Guest; 21 October 2014, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
              Yup, this is a running joke [for literally decades now].

Interesting to see such an old thingy to be still kicking tho, I kinda dismissed emacs (and variants) as tools that only dinosaurs use [insert RMS's beard picture here].

Well in my school they still force comp sci freshmen to use emacs for everything...

Comment

Well, people *have* used emacs as pid 1, as it does everything. Thus it's clearly superior to systemd, which doesn't even include a text editor, web browser, psychiatrist, or tetris.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  Keep in mind that emacs didn't start as a UNIX tool, but comes from a very different tradition - it's a survivor from the LISP machines. Those gave you a LISP shell, where everything available was also written in LISP. You could fire up an editor (a LISP program), play around with its code (while it was running), maybe bodge in a special-case for it in the windowing system (also a LISP program), start writing a new program in the editor, log off and suspend the entire state to disk, and come back the next day.

It's an interesting approach, and quite different from the UNIX text files + simple tools + scripts approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    When I originally saw the article, their server was overloaded and didn't respond, while now too much time has passed to cover it -- plus I didn't find the comments too surprising aside from on a comedic level.
                    I disagree, it's not too late. I don't follow flamewars online, so for me it's interesting to get a re-cap on Phoronix, just to have an overview of the community in general. Please feel free to write about "old" (as in more than 24 hours) news. Perhaps just start the article with the reason for being "late" with it, just like you did here.

Comment

as the old saying goes

?Emacs is a great operating system ? it lacks a good editor, though.?

Comment

Working...
                      X