Direct3D 9 Support Might Land Within Mainline Mesa 3D Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
    Did they? I thought AMD said they just needed more time to make it public or something, but I don't really recall how that played out.
    You're more right here. IIRC, what they really told Intel was that they could get their hands on it at the same time as everybody else: when they make it public. There wasn't really any malice involved.

Comment

The combination of quickly improving AMD Opensource driver performance and support of better DX9 performance in Wine might make AMD the go-to video card vendor for linux in the future. When the AMD Opensource drivers reach 90% the performance of proprietary catalyst drivers in native linux games is probably when I'll consider making that switch. Not trying to start any vendor wars here, im happy with my Nvidia and proprietary driver setup right now but native directx 9 and wine does sound very nice if it pans out in the future. The biggest drawback to wine with directx9 is the noticeable performance hit with their DX to opengl wrapper and this native directx9 library sounds like it has been giving big improvements for some games.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        I wouldn't mind native support for Glide. Messing with Glide wrappers on Windows is hit or miss (had quite a bad time with Diablo II a few weeks ago); not sure how well such wrappers work on Linux though.
        Back when I actually played d2, I've used Sven's wrapper on wine. Somewhere I have a screenshot of three windowed copies of diablo2 running at >500 fps each..

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          If proprietary drivers want to have native D3D9 support, they can provide their own libd3dadapter9.so.0, which is the library that Wine loads for native D3D9.
          Which mean that we get MORE and MORE solutions using ABI we want DEAD & replaced by new model developed by Nvidia?

Hope that approach is adapted for all APIs exposed by Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by laykun View Post
            This is excellent. I feel like we need a company like valve to back this sort of work in making their library of older games work on Linux, then it'd get some serious attention. Until then I think we're always going to have the chicken and the egg problem.
            CDProjekt is using Wine for porting classic games from GOG.com, perhaps someone related to GalliumNine project could contact them.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Tried yesterday Dungeon Siege 2 again (have it for many years ago, not playing current ones ), but no go, it is dx9 game i think... is that intended to work with nine or no? Someone of devs may try a demo

http://www.fileplanet.com/155749/dow...player%5D-v2.2
              DS2 works with nine, but main menu is empty, and i can not start the game.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                Which mean that we get MORE and MORE solutions using ABI we want DEAD & replaced by new model developed by Nvidia?

Hope that approach is adapted for all APIs exposed by Mesa.
                Look, no one is going to seriously use it to make an actual new D3D9 game now. Meanwhile, it's vastly improving the performance of many games running under Wine. What downside to this being accepted into mainline Mesa are you seeing here?

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
                  DS2 works with nine, but main menu is empty, and i can not start the game.
                  http://savepic.su/4354744.png
                  I would call that "DS2 starts, but unusable" ... anyway, thanks for trying

Comment

Working...
                  X