AMD Is Restructuring Again, Losing 7% Of Employees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Oh you're talking desktop peecee chips. That's not so relevant these days. Compare Xeon and Opteron price/performance and see who the clear winner is.
    He was talking about the very same segment you were bragging about: $100 - $500 chips.

Xeon marketshare blows Opteron out of the water. I think we see who the clear winner is there. I'm not sure what point you're even trying to make. You want AMD to get out of the "peecee" space and focus on an area where they're getting crushed even more?

Comment

So does AMD's next CPU architecture decide about the whole company

Comment

Originally posted by dbont View Post
        I really don't care about CPU speed that much these days.
        I stiil use an "ancient" by now Phenom II 940 and don't feel the urge to upgrade the CPU soon.
        Meanwhile I upgraded the GPU from an HD 4850 to HD 7950 and even most new blockbuster
        games perform great with above average settings.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
          Last year I went to look for a new laptop. Almost all the laptop were intel. The amd laptops were all A4 and A6. I found my laptop in a small pc shop, an amd a8. I wanted to buy the a10, but I could not find it. So maybe amd has also a distribution problem.
          Well AMD offers are rarer, but not impossible to find. This summer I bought an HP EliteBook 755 G2 that has a Kaveri A10, and HP is pretty easy to find. I ordered it on an online shop, delivered after 2 days, the end.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
            So does AMD's next CPU architecture decide about the whole company
            Yes and no, it depends on market conditions in some segments, particulary Computing and Graphics goes down for AMD here while other are fine... that again may mean everything and not that they do something wrong with CPU/GPU architecture... well, we all know traditional PC market goes down .

Read as it is, just keep in mind that is economic performance... not benchmarks

Our Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom segment results were strong; however, performance in our Computing and Graphics segment was mixed based on challenging market conditions that require us to take further steps to evolve and strengthen the financial performance of this business. Our top priority is to deliver leadership technologies and products as we continue to transform AMD.
            Last edited by dungeon; 17 October 2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vitalif View Post
              The biggest problem is that their CPUs are just slower than Intel and consume more power especially mobile ones. That's probably why laptops with AMD CPUs are rare
              And even more, there was a rumor they are going to discontinue FX processors next year... And FX are their only powerful desktop CPUs. Kaveri is rather slow, its integrated GPU is faster than integrated Intel HD****, but on par with Iris Pro and of course slower than any discrete card... there is probably some hope for HSA and zero-copy driver support (as I understand it's not yet supported neither in Windows, nor in Linux), and for integrated RAM in newer APUs (like in Iris Pro...) - I'm looking forward for any news about it
              On the other hand, AMD was behind Intel most time, but they're still with us
              Okay, hold on a sec. AMD CPU's are not as optimized power consumption wise but have been making strides, but my fx 8350 burried a fucking 1k USD i7 in a multi cyrpto test, just saying. On a more serious note, I really wish HSA would take off... not just AMD but Intel as well seem to be leaning towards gpu compute and it'll make some serious leaps forward for many multi threaded workloads.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                Okay, hold on a sec. AMD CPU's are not as optimized power consumption wise but have been making strides, but my fx 8350 burried a fucking 1k USD i7 in a multi cyrpto test, just saying. On a more serious note, I really wish HSA would take off... not just AMD but Intel as well seem to be leaning towards gpu compute and it'll make some serious leaps forward for many multi threaded workloads.
                "In a multi-crypto test."

And a $200 i5 buries it in every other test.

Come on, let's not sugar-coat it here. AMD CPUs are not selling not because they're the best secret in hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                  ...but my fx 8350 burried a fucking 1k USD i7 in a multi cyrpto test, just saying.
                  Unfortunately for AMD most people aren't building rigs to run crypto tests.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    Remember that Linux holds the majority of Smart Phone market, in Android.

Apache is the #1 web server on the internet.
                    BIND is the #1 DNS server on the internet.
                    Linux is the #1 host of these two services.

Linux owns the super computer market. The top 500 supercomputers list is mostly Linux.

The biggest of the big in E-commerce and social media are all powered by Linux : Facebook, Amazon, Google, Netflix, Ebay, all running on millions of Linux servers.

AMD participates in all of these markets. Talking about Linux users as "one percent" of market share is very misleading. I assume you're talking about *desktop peecee* marketshare?
                    Wow, I feel like punching something for you saying something so fucked that I have to state so clearly that Android doesn't do a goddamned thing about GNU/Linux, as far as consumers go.

Let's see.. SurfaceFlinger in Ubuntu or Fedora or other popular GNU/Linux distros? Oh, nope, sorry. Let me try something else..

Hmm... How about Steam games? Can I run Steam games on Android-x86? Oh shit, whoops, nope, sorry, Steam games aren't available on Android.

Well, how'bout this? Install a .apk on a GNU/Linux distro. Holy shit! I can run my favorite version of Candy Swipe Saga, (a game that was blatantly stolen from the original Candy Swipe) on my GNU/Linux desktop such as Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, Slackware! Oh.. wait.. no.. *installs Java*. There we.. go? Is that running on GNU/Linux? Or is that Candy Swipe Saga running on Java, running on GNU/Linux? Does that count? I'm pretty sure it does, especially when I can also run all of my favorite GNU/Linux .debs, .rpms, and use pacman -s *package name* on Android! Tha-hat's all good!

OH WAIT, AMD has ARM processors! Silly me, I almost forgotten about their attempts at creating a smartphone/tablet that obviously makes their commitment to Android, AKA Linux, up to first class citizenship. Oho, boy, man, I gotta get with the times, ARM is dominating, x86 is dying, Intel's deal with ASUS making an x86 smartphone went down and Intel went bankrupt, pigs are flying, it's the year 2020 and, of course, everybody was waiting for this:

It's the year of the Linux desktop. Because as we all know, Android sure can make an awesome desktop interface!

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                      Well AMD offers are rarer, but not impossible to find. This summer I bought an HP EliteBook 755 G2 that has a Kaveri A10, and HP is pretty easy to find. I ordered it on an online shop, delivered after 2 days, the end.
                      Yes they are rarer, and that's a problem. Since they are rarer only the people that are looking for that poduclt will get thous laptops. In Europe the avaibility of the products depends not only by the states, but also by the regions. In my region there were no a10 laptops, but there are no problems to find amd desktop CPUs or desktop GPUs.
                      Another issue I think is that amd should enter in the tablet sector, because I think that tablets will eat the low end laptop's market and laptop will became more a product for pro users. But chrome os is going ok so I might be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X