No announcement yet.

GNOME Developer Comes Up With New Animated Image Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope daala comes about in the next year or so, then we can all stop arguing about which is better: h.264/5 or VP8/9... the answer will just always be "Daala". Then we can use Daala + Opus in a webm/mkv container as web video and we'll all be happy. (Speaking of Opus, you can use it in a WebM file instead of Vorbus, and being able to decode it is literally a requirement of WebRTC anyway, so why don't we use VP8/9+Opus??)

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      I hope daala comes about in the next year or so, then we can all stop arguing about which is better: h.264/5 or VP8/9... the answer will just always be "Daala". Then we can use Daala + Opus in a webm/mkv container as web video and we'll all be happy. (Speaking of Opus, you can use it in a WebM file instead of Vorbus, and being able to decode it is literally a requirement of WebRTC anyway, so why don't we use VP8/9+Opus??)
      VP10 will be out before Daala.

Comment

His animations stutter and stop in Firefox, unless one constantly moves the mouse in and out of the image frame (FF 33, Arch Linux).
        This hack has been done before. The SVG animation on the following page runs smoothly:
        Explore the world of technology with Sysmagazine! Discover the latest trends in tech and apps, gain valuable insights into the ever-evolving tech landscape.

Comment

Too bad this stutters and uses a ton of cpu in most browsers. Apparently no browser caches the base64-thing-in-SVGs.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            He needs to come up with a better name. Something easy to pronounce.
            I assume it's intended to be pronounced "zing", which is both easy and obvious enough...

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
              Storing each frame or even just each deltas is just a silly compression technique for videos, lossless or not.
              But it's good for this sort of stuff. There are plenty efficient/optimized video compression schemes/formats to choose from, if you care about storage/bandwidth efficiency. But they all suck for GIF replacement. Of the top of my head, XNG should provide:

* Simplicity: this format just takes a series of JPEGs/PNGs and a preset framerate (all you need is an XML parser, libpng, libjpeg).
              * No plugin/codec initialization, no graphics hardware invokation causing locks, stutter, or other latency isues in browsers.
              * No audio, thus no audo codec, no audio subsystem issues (*cough* Linux!), no synchronisation worries.
              * No delta compression, thus you can jump seamlessly to any point in a video (something we've had in 1995 but lost due to agressive delta/buffering optimizations).
              * For same reason, play video backwards, or pingpong playback.
              * Variable framerate (per frame delay defined, although I'm not sure if GIF89a also supported this already).
              * Instant playback frame rate changes without codec/player going bananas (overshooting due to buffering etc).
              * Non-lossless support that guarantees your colors/gradients won't be mutilated (pixel-perfect if you use PNG), which often happens even when lossless codec is set to best quality.
              * Transparancy support (PNG).
              * Grayscale (JPEG and PNG) without wasting two color channels.
              * Grayscale+alpha support (PNG).

Inefficient storage/memory isn't a huge issue. The main intended usage for this is self-contained illustrations, which are usually low bandwidth. Like these:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Circle_cos_sin.gif And if it's abused for lolcat videos, who cares about the bandwidth if it is entertaining?

Yeah, it stutters/hangs in Firefox right now, but it seems already more practical in use than APNG or MNG ever was. I bet Mozilla will have this issue fixed by the next update.
              Last edited by Remdul; 18 October 2014, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Correction: I of course meant to say "even when lossy codec is set to best quality".

PS: It is really annoying edits are only allowed in the first few minutes after posting here. One often doesn't spot one's own error until a minute later or so, or you would not have made the mistake in the first place! The human brain just works (or rather, fails) like that...

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
                  Correction: I of course meant to say "even when lossy codec is set to best quality".

PS: It is really annoying edits are only allowed in the first few minutes after posting here. One often doesn't spot one's own error until a minute later or so, or you would not have made the mistake in the first place! The human brain just works (or rather, fails) like that...
                  I have a big issue with that in these forums. I might forget a key detail in my comment and I might not see my comment until the next day when it's too late to edit.

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
                    * Variable framerate (per frame delay defined, although I'm not sure if GIF89a also supported this already).
                    It does.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                      He needs to come up with a better name. Something easy to pronounce.
                      Exsengee ??

Comment

Working...
                      X