No announcement yet.

GNOME Developer Comes Up With New Animated Image Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He needs to come up with a better name. Something easy to pronounce.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
      I'd really like to know how much we'll gain if we take some GIF and convert them to WebM. What's the compression ratio between these two? We might be surprised..
      Imgur just recently started converting GIFs to Webm. They're calling it "GIFV"

Comment

Originally posted by Imroy View Post
        Imgur just recently started converting GIFs to Webm. They're calling it "GIFV"
        they using the h264 codec. Here is a demo image (or video without audio), which already works on Firefox, Chromium and some other browsers: http://imgur.com/zvATqgs

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
          they using the h264 codec.
          Yes, sorry, brainfart. I think someone mentioned WebM in a comment on Imgur and then Creak's comment triggered that memory and I repeated it. It's MPEG-4 AVC a.k.a "h.264" in an MP4 container.

Comment

Animated images? That's called videos and we already have good format for them - mp4 (or google's shitty webm).

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
              Animated images? That's called videos and we already have good format for them - mp4 (or google's shitty webm).
              What if you want lossless compression and transparency? Neither of these are made for that. Also, WebM isn't shitty, it's the best finalized free format currently available.

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
                we already have good format for them - mp4 (or google's shitty webm).
                I can't see why would anyone use mp4 or webm instead of mkv except if it is for the web.

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                What if you want lossless compression
                I remember reading that H.264 actually supports lossless compression but nobody actually uses it. (I may be wrong)

Also, WebM isn't shitty, it's the best finalized free format currently available.
                Mkv is free.

Comment

Webm is based on a limited subset of MKV.

Comment

Originally posted by float View Post
                    Mkv is free.
                    True but mkv is merely a container. One needs a patent uncumbered video and audio codec to play videos without any liabilities. So thats essentially what Google did. VP8 video codec + vorbis audio codec in a container that is based on mkv.

Comment

What if you want lossless compression and transparency?
                      Storing each frame or even just each deltas is just a silly compression technique for videos, lossless or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X