Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Support Starts Coming Together For VLC Media Player

Phoronix: Wayland Support Starts Coming Together For VLC Media Player

Users of the VLC multimedia player will be happy to know that the Wayland support is coming along for those wanting to abandon their X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news indeed. Want to bring along VLC to my wayland setup when I finally make that move.

Comment

I'm surprised. Last I checked the VLC developer responsible for video output under Linux said that nobody will need Wayland support as Ubuntu as allegedly most popular distribution won't support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        I'm surprised. Last I checked the VLC developer responsible for video output under Linux said that nobody will need Wayland support as Ubuntu as allegedly most popular distribution won't support it.
        Huh, the last time I checked it, a dev said that they weren't going to do it because with how fucked up their video-output codebase actually is, it wouldn't be worth it.

I think it's cool that it's finally coming along, but I think I'll stick to MPV (which I personally believe is better, and has supported Wayland for a long time ). I even use MPV on Windows 8.1 haha

Comment

Wouldn't they have to port VLC from Qt4 to Qt5 first?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Wouldn't they have to port VLC from Qt4 to Qt5 first?
            They work on it AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              Huh, the last time I checked it, a dev said that they weren't going to do it because with how fucked up their video-output codebase actually is, it wouldn't be worth it.
              Wayland API has been stable for some time now. I guess it would be nice for VLC to have Wayland video output module. I noticed that there has...

Comment

In Arch OK

VLC is one of my often lauching app under Wayland/Weston. Videos, music and DVB-T works well enough.

Comment

Working...
                X