Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 21 Is Looking & Working Very Well -- Best Fedora Release Yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    Where are the KDE5 daily builds of Fedora? Google yields plasma5 on top of Kubuntu, so I installed it instead of Fedora.
    LOL 😂 https://blogs.kde.org/2014/10/15/ubu...ur-system-1404

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      I could also compile from source, or write my own version of plasma5, or build a rocket and fly to mars, if I wanted to.
      It's typical Fedora logic, instead of doing what anyone expects (putting out ISOs), they (just like Gnome3) do something else, worse. That's why I ended up installing Kubuntu's plasma5.
      Here's how it works: install workstation, install/enable that repo, install kde.
      There is a reason for doing things this way, but I don't get the feeling that you really care.

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
        DNF == Did Not Finish

We don't need Fedora with a horrible package manager name.
        Should we also rename yum so it would stop referring to Yellowdog Update Manager? It's not like the yum in Fedora has much on common with the yum that was in Yellowdog Linux

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
          DNF == Did Not Finish

We don't need Fedora with a horrible package manager name.
          But the name is dnf's best feature, since it's so easy to type on a QWERTY keyboard. In contrast, y-u-m is assigned to only one finger (right index). That's an ergonomic catastrophe.

Comment

Has Fedup ever worked?

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            Fedora user here. Please, wait a bit, Plasma 5.1 packages (what you really want to use, unless you are an English speaking guy who really does not need translations) are not ready, but will be ready soon.

BTW, the only instance of alphaness with Fedora 21 is when I try to run fedup to upgrade my Fedora 20 systems; there is a severe bug with systemd-udevd that prevents updating unless systemd-udevd is killed, plus a beautiful kernel panic if you boot with your Fedora 21 kernel after upgrading. Booting with your last Fedora 20 kernel and reinstalling the kernel package solves everything.
            I tried to update 2 systems with F19 to F20, but they both failed miserably. It was a known bug, but even when I implemented the workaround, it still failed to upgrade. I think it hung half way through. This really put me off fedup, because I had recently come from Ubuntu and apt-get dist-upgrade has worked seamlessly and perfectly for me, even over ssh, for several years. I came to Fedora at F16, but upgrades weren't really supported AFAIK then, and it wasn't until F18 that fedup was supposedly working. Dont get me wrong, I love Fedora, but I *really* miss apt-get dist-upgrade over ssh.

btw, fedup is an unfortunate name considering my experience

Comment

Originally posted by finite9 View Post
              I tried to update 2 systems with F19 to F20, but they both failed miserably. It was a known bug, but even when I implemented the workaround, it still failed to upgrade.
              I first installed the update for FedUp and then it worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by finite9 View Post
                I tried to update 2 systems with F19 to F20, but they both failed miserably. It was a known bug, but even when I implemented the workaround, it still failed to upgrade. I think it hung half way through. This really put me off fedup, because I had recently come from Ubuntu and apt-get dist-upgrade has worked seamlessly and perfectly for me, even over ssh, for several years. I came to Fedora at F16, but upgrades weren't really supported AFAIK then, and it wasn't until F18 that fedup was supposedly working. Dont get me wrong, I love Fedora, but I *really* miss apt-get dist-upgrade over ssh.

btw, fedup is an unfortunate name considering my experience
                I've upgraded around 40 machines and VMs (32bit VMs up to 4S servers) from 19 to 20, with minimal effort. Granted my anecdotal evidence doesn't negate yours, but it makes me wonder if I was purely lucky or if you were really unlucky...

What issue did you face?
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                X